About this courseSkip About this course
This course guides students through a series of lab activities that provide hands-on experience querying and visualizing data. After completing this course, students will be able to construct IoT data visualizations that allow a business to gain insights related to its operations.
The first module examines the characteristics of time series data – how it can be used for analysis and prediction. It specifically walks the student through how IoT telemetry data is typically generated as time series data and techniques for managing and analyzing it with Azure Time Series Insights.
Module two takes a closer look at specific features of Azure Time Series Insights – how it can be used to store, analyze and instantly query massive amounts of time series data.
In the third module, students get a general introduction to using Power BI, with specific emphasis on how Power BI can load, transform and visualize IoT data sets.
In the final module, students will move from using BI with static IoT data sets to working with real time streaming IoT data. Students use Azure Stream Analytics as a data source for Power BI and explore the unique capabilities and insights that provides.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Describe when and why to use the Time Series Insights and Power BI data visualization tools
- Install and configure Time Series Insights
- Connect Time Series Insights with IoT Hub and Event Hub
- Configure data retention and create a reference data set
- Build dashboards and heat maps
- Scale the environment and manage resources using templates
- Transform Data using Power BI Desktop
- Model data using the Power BI Desktop
- Visualize data using the Power BI Desktop
- Create a Dashboard using the Power BI Service
- Configure Organization Packs, Security and Groups
- Get your IoT hub ready for data access by adding a consumer group
- Create, configure, and run a Stream Analytics job for data transfer from your IoT hub to your Power BI account
- Create and publish a Power BI report to visualize the data
Some assessment questions will be presented during the labs. These questions will help you to prepare for the final assessment.
The course includes four modules, each of which contains two or more lab activities. The lab outline is provided below.
Module 1: Time Series Data
- Lab 1: Introducing Time Series Insights
- Lab 2: Producing Simulated Data
- Lab 3: Provisioning Time Series Insights
- Lab 4: Analysis with Time Series Insights
- Lab 1: Setting Up Data Generation
- Lab 2: Using Time Series Analysis Patterns
- Lab 3: Using Advanced TSI Features
- Lab 4: Managing Time Series Insights
- Lab 1: Introducing Power BI
- Lab 2: Transforming Data
- Lab 3: Modeling Data
- Lab 4: Visualizing Data
- Lab 1: Using Power BI with Streaming Data
- Lab 2: Configuring Power BI
- Lab 3: Using Power BI in an IoT architecture
- Lab 4: Sharing Power BI Dashboards
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain $99.00
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
Who can take this course?
Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this course: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this course in all locations. EdX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.