About this courseSkip About this course
For marketers, an understanding of how a consumer selects, purchases, uses and disposes of products and services is pertinent to successfully managing the marketing function.
In this course, you will learn about the role of consumer behaviour within marketing. We will discuss how this behaviour is shaped by the social and cultural environment, as well as a number of psychological factors.
You will learn about decision-making processes in consumption behaviour in different buying situations. This will develop your ability to integrate marketing processes at a higher level.
Concepts drawn from various disciplines such as psychology, economics and anthropology will be examined.
This course is part of the CurtinX MicroMasters Credential in Marketing in a Digital World that is specifically designed to teach the critical skills needed to be successful in this exciting field. In order to qualify for the MicroMasters Credential you will need to earn a Verified Certificate in each of the five courses.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Apply analytical tools to determine how culture, personality and lifestyle affect the behaviour of consumers and self
- Analyse how consumer attitudes are formed, and consumer opinions change in order to better understand your own and other's personal consumption experiences
- Evaluate how different sources of group influences can affect and radically change consumers' consumption
- Create specific marketing strategies that focus around what motivates consumers, what captures their attention and what retains their loyalty
Topic 1: Introduction to buyer behaviour
- Basic consumer behaviour concepts such as consumer needs and wants and market segmentation, as well as a psychological approach to understanding consumer behaviour
Topic 2: Culture
- How cultural diversity and differences influence the way that consumers make decisions
Topic 3: Consumer decision making
- Individual decision-making processes to understand if consumers make rational decisions, or if there are systematic biases in the ways people make decisions
Topic 4: E-commerce buying behaviour
- How buyers behave in an online environment and identifying online technologies within modern marketing
Topic 5: Perception and unconscious thought.
- The consumer perception process, sensory marketing, semiotics and subliminal advertising techniques
Topic 6: Learning, memory and product positioning
- How basic cognitive processes (e.g., attention, learning and memory, self-control, and emotions) shape consumer decision-making
Topic 7: Motivation and involvement
- The motivational drivers towards behaviour and involvement with the product, the marketing message, and purchase situation
Topic 8: Attitude formation and change
- The nature of attitudes, attitude development and persuasion techniques
Topic 9: Gender stereotypes and social identity
- The consumer's self-concept, gender identity, ideals of beauty and body decoration or mutilation
Topic 10: Consumer ethics and misbehaviour
- How consumers' ethical concerns about business practices influence their purchase behaviour
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$199 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
Who can take this course?
Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this course: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this course in all locations. EdX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.