About this courseSkip About this course
Learning modules are broken into short (<10 minute) videos presented in straightforward language. This allows providers to learn at their own pace and time. Topics include symptoms and signs in patients with COVID-19, early stabilization of patients, prevention of the need for intubation, and ventilator management of patients. The best evidence and guidelines are summarized while accompanying handouts provide written learning points and links to online references. Additionally, simple infographics are available for providers to utilize within their care facilities to educate and promote optimal care across their entire institution.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Recognize early and late clinical signs of COVID-19 infection in patients
- Correctly apply, remove, and reuse appropriate personal protective equipment based on COVID-19 exposure risk
- Systematically assess and provide immediate stabilization to undifferentiated sick patients
- Perform a rapid bedside assessment of a dyspneic patient
- Utilize bedside ultrasound to evaluate for COVID-19
- Obtain and interpret key diagnostic tests in COVID-19 patients with dyspnea
- Appropriately position and provide supplemental oxygen to patients with dyspnea
- Administer oral and inhaled therapeutics in COVID-19 patients
- Safely administer high-flow nasal cannula and non-invasive positive pressure ventilation
- Correctly provide bag-mask ventilation using naso- and oropharyngeal airways
- Recognize the need for and perform endotracheal intubation
- Administer appropriate sedative and paralytic medications for intubated patients
- Apply optimal initial ventilator settings in COVID-19 patients
- Troubleshoot common clinical scenarios with patients on ventilators
- Assess and wean clinically improving patients off of ventilators
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$10 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
Frequently asked questions
Will I learn how to manage patients in respiratory distress?
Yes. The course covers early stabilization with oxygen and non-invasive ventilation, prevention of intubation using proning and other bedside maneuvers, and early ventilator management in patients.
Does the course cover using personal protective equipment (PPE)?
Yes. Appropriate use of PPE is presented and controversies in PPE are discussed.