About this courseSkip About this course
In this course we will explore:
- How to process noisy sound files
- The way a beam bends in response to external forces
- How to design of ovens to create strong but lightweight composites
- The motion of a violin string
Violinist photo by user: DeshaCAM. Copyright © 2018 Adobe Systems Incorporated. Used with permission.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- How to describe periodic functions using Fourier series
- How to solve ODEs with Fourier series input
- How to solve separable PDEs using Fourier series inputs and boundary conditions
- Introduction to Fourier series
- Fourier series with arbitrary periods
- Using Fourier series to solve differential equations
- Boundary conditions and boundary value problems
- The heat equation
- The wave equation
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$75.00
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
Frequently asked questions
A: We assume familiarity with 18.031x Introduction to Differential Equations and 18.032x Differential Equations: 2x2 Systems, and 18.033x Differential Equations: Linear Algebra and NxN Systems. Knowledge from 18.03Lx is not required to succeed in this course.
Q: Do I need to purchase a MATLAB license?
A: No, registering for this course gives you access to a MATLAB license for the duration of this course!
Who can take this course?
Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this course: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this course in all locations. EdX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.