About this courseSkip About this course
If you want to be the technology specialist who can procure and gain insight into cutting edge systems to help save lives and cut disaster losses, this Professional Certificate provides the foundational knowledge you need.
It is designed for recreational hobbyists, certified remote pilots, commercial operators, and public safety and government users.
This course covers unmanned aerial systems (UAS) to include drones and autonomous aerial vehicles, sensors, communications, ground control, navigation and other payloads that rely on complex algorithms that can be applied for protecting and saving lives and property.
In this edX Professional Certificate, you will learn the importance of autonomous systems and drone technologies that bring speed, efficiency and affordable solutions to disaster response and management. Topics include the use of drones by emergency managers, first responders, and search and rescue personnel responding to natural and manmade disasters.
No previous knowledge of drones or flight experience is required. Join as you start your drone journey.
Taught by highly experienced instructors and practitioners in military and civil UAS operations, practical applications, systems design, and emergency management planning, this course will provide the novice, subject-matter expert analyst, planner and operational associate with the technical understanding for infusing drone solutions into emergency management and planning.
Additionally, those who have a curiosity or general interest in drones, be it casual or in-depth, will benefit from this course to gain insight into emergency management, homeland security, and intelligence applications.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Classification of disaster types according to hazard origin - natural, such as storms and flooding, earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanic eruption, flooding, wildfires, drought, epidemics; human-induced, such as criminal, terrorist, active shooter and accidental such as oil spills, train derailment; and humanitarian disasters such as famine and refugee/migration crises.
- Tasks and applications – forecasting, command and control, disaster relief operations, structural analysis, rescue and recovery, and logistics.
- Customer sets – governments (local, state, and national levels), NGOs, private contractors, defense, information technology, transportation, aeronautical, engineering and construction, agriculture, entrepreneurs, etc.
- Examination of drone technologies used in emergency preparedness and response including platforms and missions, power, propulsion, payloads, emergency response communication system that use Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs); satellite communication (SATCOM) datalinks; and remote sensing.
- How to develop technology implementation solutions based on a crisis scenario.
- Critical infrastructure applications such as monitoring dams, highways, floods, food and agriculture, finance, national parks and monuments etc.
- Future technology implications such as artificial intelligence, algorithms, 5-G technology, accelerated integration of multiple data sources, counter-UAS capabilities, weaponized hobbyist drones, and docking stations and tethers.
Week 1: Introduction to hazards, disasters and drone applications
Week 2: Global natural disasters and drone applications I
Week 3: Global natural disasters and drone applications II
Week 4: Man-made disasters and drone applications I
Week 5: Man-made disasters and drone applications II
Week 6: Future drone applications
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$149.00
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
Who can take this course?
Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this course: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this course in all locations. EdX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.