About this courseSkip About this course
This course is part of Global Freshman Academy (GFA), which means you can earn transferable ASU credit toward your college degree.
Language, and the ability to communicate effectively are critical skills in the global economy. Writing and composition are vital to communicating your ideas clearly.
This introductory writing course will help you develop and express ideas effectively for a variety of purposes, audiences and occasions.
During the course, you will complete several major written projects, along with a reflection for each project. For each project, you can decide what level of technology you wish to use.
If you wish to earn university credit for the course we will ask you to complete a portfolio in which you demonstrate what you have learned. Specifically, you will address what you have learned in the course and provide evidence that you have acquired the skills and knowledge taught during the course. This is a 3-credit hour course at Arizona State University (ENG 101 First-Year Composition). It is strongly encouraged that you consult with your institution of choice to determine how these credits will be applied to their degree requirements prior to transferring the credit.
** _" Excellent content and structure. This is a composition course, then learners are expected to write a lot. What I like about the activities is the methodology since participants are invited to reflect a lot, revise, correct, etc., exactly what writers do in real life. In short, there are demanding but rewarding assignments, lectures are high quality and help students, in my opinion, to understand the topics easily. The instructors are nice and care about learners' challenges."
"I'm Aziz from Morocco. I always wanted to develop my writing skills especially academic writing where I still have some issues. And I believe that this course is the perfect one for me to attain that goal. Thank you edX and Arizona state university for this incredible learning opportunity and happy learning for every one enrolled in the MOOC." - _Aziz Soubai
More reviews on CourseTalk
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Rhetorical Knowledge: how to craft your writing to meet the needs of specific audiences for specific purposes.
- Critical Thinking: how to make decisions about what to include and not include in your writing.
- Writing Processes: how to use invention, research, drafting, revising, and editing in your writing.
- Knowledge of Conventions: how to use various formats and stylistic choices, including genre conventions.
- Digital Technology: how to use diverse technologies to write more effectively and efficiently.
- Habits of Mind: how to benefit from curiosity, openness, engagement, creativity, persistence, responsibility, flexibility, and reflection.
Meet your instructors
Pursue Academic Credit with a Verified Certificate
Become eligible for academic credit and highlight your new skills and knowledge with a verified certificate. Use this valuable credential to qualify for academic credit, advance your career, or strengthen your school applications.
Benefits of a Verified Certificate
Eligible for Credit
Receive academic credit after successfully completing the course
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution’s logo
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Frequently asked questions
AboutGlobal Freshman Academy and ASUx Credit-Eligible Courses
ENG101English Compositionfrom ASUx is a credit-eligible course. Learners have the opportunity to experience the same rigorous university-level courses on a flexible schedule and earn academic credit when they pass the course with a C or better, eliminating many of the challenges and risks of pursuing a university degree.
- Number of credit hours for ENG101 English Composition :3credit hours.
- Cost: $600 (USD)- pay for credit earned after passing the course with a C or better.
- Learner must enroll in the Verified Certificate option to be eligible for credit upon completion of the course.
- Learner must abide to all course and academic integrity policies throughout the entire course.
- Learner must receive a passing grade of a C or better in the course.