About this courseSkip About this course
Are you one of those professionals who is curious and wants to learn about financial statements, but is intimidated by financial numbers and jargon? Then this course is for you!
In this course, we will demystify accounting jargon, help you understand financial statements and analyse them for better decisions. Whatever be your background – marketing, operations, supply chain, strategy, engineering or others, in today’s competitive world, you need to use and interpret crucial financial data for making informed decisions.
This course will enable you to:
- Understand the various elements of financial statements
- Apply accounting principles related to its preparation
- Use tools and techniques to analyse and interpret the key parameters of financial performance
The course has direct application and high relevance in every professional’s life. Concepts learnt in the course can be applied in day to day management for improving operations and creating value for the organization. You will also be able to assess financial implications of your decisions.
The course will be covered in an easy, simple and interactive manner through various hands-on activities, short cases and easy-to-understand examples.
No previous finance knowledge is needed. Come armed with enthusiasm and curiosity to learn.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Basic financial concepts
- Financial statements and their elements
- Various accounting standards with respect to the elements in the financial statements
- Techniques to analyse the financial statements
- Interpretation of financial statements for better decision-making
You will begin your study of Financial accounting and analysis by looking at the overall structure of accounting information and the structure of reporting. In this week, you will:
- Meet various users of financial information.
- Discuss the accounting information system.
- Learn fundamental accounting concepts.
- Understand basic financial statements. Prepare financial statements using the accounting equation.
Week 2: A Closer Look at the Balance Sheet
In this week, you will learn to define and cite examples of various elements in the balance sheet related to:
Week 3: A Closer Look at the Income Statement, Cash Flow Statement and Statement of Changes in Equity
In this week, you will:
- Learn the Concepts and various elements of the income statement. Appreciate the challenges faced in the preparation of the income statement.
- Understand the structure, elements and importance of the cash flow statement.
- Develop a basic understanding of statement of equity.
Weeks 4 & 5: Financial Statement Analysis
In these two weeks, you will:
- Apply tools and techniques to analyse the financial statements to understand the performance.
- Use tools to understand the operational, financial and investment efficiency.
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain $50.00
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally