About this courseSkip About this course
This course presents the fundamental concepts of modern operating systems. It also explores the design and the implementation issues of computer operating systems. Topics include operating system architectures, process scheduling, synchronization of concurrent processes, memory management and virtual memory, I/O and file systems, and virtual machines and hypervisors. The concepts in this course are not limited to any particular operating system or hardware platform. We will discuss examples in Unix OS, and we will also present Android OS.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
2. Confrontare gli algoritmi comuni utilizzati per la pianificazione preventiva e non preventiva delle attività nei sistemi operativi, come priorità e confronto delle prestazioni. Contrasto kernel e modalità utente in un sistema operativo
3. Valutare e segnalare le scelte progettuali appropriate quando si risolvono problemi reali.
4. Approccio alla concorrenza e alle loro basi. Ciò include processi e thread su UNIX; meccanismi di comunicazione e coordinamento tra processi simultanei (memoria condivisa e modelli di passaggio di messaggistica).
1. Describe how computing resources (such as CPU, I/O and memory) are managed by the operating system, describe the basic principles used in the design of modern operating systems.
2. Compare and contrast the common algorithms used for both pre-emptive and non-pre-emptive scheduling of tasks in operating systems, such a priority, and performance comparison. Contrast kernel and user mode in an operating system
3. Evaluate and report appropriate design choices when solving real-world problems.
4. Approach to concurrency and their foundations. This includes processes and threads on UNIX; mechanisms for communication and coordination across concurrent processes (shared memory and messaging passing models).
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain $60.00
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally