About this courseSkip About this course
Lifestyle factors including poor nutrition and physical inactivity are critical determinants of health, causing a pandemic of chronic diseases, premature death and unsustainable healthcare costs. Currently, 50 percent of Americans live with one or more chronic illnesses in which diet, exercise and stress play a key role.
Lifestyle Medicine is the science and application of 49 healthy lifestyles as interventions for the prevention and treatment of lifestyle-related diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, stroke, obesity, some neurological conditions and some cancers. It is the evidence-based specialty bridging the science of physical activity, nutrition, stress management and resilience; sleep hygiene and other healthy habits to individuals through clinical practice in healthcare.
BIOL-212x Introduction to Lifestyle Medicine from DoaneX is a credit-eligible course. Learners have the opportunity to experience this same rigorous university-level course on a flexible schedule and earn academic credit when they pass the course with a C or better.
Number of credit hours for BIOL-212x Introduction to Lifestyle Medicine: 3 credit hours.
Cost: $500 (USD) - pay for credit earned after passing the course with a C or better.
- Learner must enroll in the Verified Certificate option.
- Learner must abide to all course and academic integrity policies throughout the entire course.
- Learner must receive a passing grade of a C or better.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Conceptualize how lifestyle behaviors resulted in chronic disease in the US
- Chronic disease epidemic affects our economic health as a nation.
- What is Lifestyle Medicine and its differences from traditional Western medicine.
- Tools to develop a personal, healthy lifestyle
- Lifestyle factors contribution to leading health killers in the US
- Health relationships between food production, politics, economics and the environment
- Commit to improvement in personal health choices
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain $79.00
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally