About this courseSkip About this course
Module 1 provides an overview of the IoT Reference Architecture, introducing Things, Insights and Actions. With a basic understanding of the architecture, students will examine the core and optional subsystems, cross-cutting concerns, principles and concepts of the Reference Architecture, and architecture of key subsystems.
Module 2 uses the Remote Monitoring Solution Accelerator to explore the receipt and processing of remote device telemetry (the most common scenario for IoT) within the context of the Reference Architecture. Students will identify the areas of alignment and where the solution departs from the reference, as well as the tools used to deploy the solution. Students then review some options for customizing the Remote Monitoring solution and complete some customization activities. Students will also review additional accelerator solutions and learn when they may be applicable.
Module 3 introduces students to approaches that can be used to determine and document the business and system requirements that drive key factors such as security, scalability, availability, and disaster recovery service level agreements. They will then apply the requirements, develop a candidate architecture, build a PoC, deliver a cost analysis, and evaluate against quality measures. To finish up the module, students will propose the IoT Hub Operations, Monitoring and Security Processes and Procedures to support the candidate architecture.
In Module 4 students take their defined business requirements and examine how to apply their understanding of IoT Architecture and the capabilities of Azure IoT to create a compelling proposal. They will learn the key attributes of the Azure Cloud and the Azure IoT architecture that should be emphasized, approaches for developing the cost of a proposal and other factors such as support. Students will also consider the steps necessary for moving from a Proof of Concept to a full rollout and how to support the solution.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Explain the characteristics and benefits of a cloud solution architecture
- Describe the things, insights, and actions for a proposed IoT solution
- Describe the IoT Reference Architecture Subsystems and security
- Explain the pillars of software quality
- Implement redundancy within an IoT solution
- Deploy the remote monitoring solution accelerator
- Customize a solution accelerator
- Customize and redeploy a microservice
- Apply and tailor the reference architecture to a scenario
- Describe and identify architecturally significant requirements
- Document architecturally significant requirements from a stakeholder interview or business goal documentation
- Design a physical architecture that aligns with a given scenario
- Develop and execute a verification plan against an architecture
- Identify the key objectives of an executive summary
- Articulate the key values of Azure and Azure IoT
- Produce a cost estimate for an IoT solution scenario
- Document an IoT solution architecture
- Construct the business proposal for an IoT solution
- Implement an IoT solution roll out
- Scale an IoT solution to accommodate changing business demands
Some assessment questions will be presented during the labs. These questions will help you to prepare for the final assessment.
The course includes five modules, each of which contains two or more lab activities. The lab outline is provided below.
Module 1: Understanding the IoT Reference Architecture
- Lab 1: Architecture Overview
- Lab 2: Reference Architecture Subsystems and Security
- Lab 3: Pillars of Software Quality
- Lab 4: Implementing Redundancy
- Lab 1: Remote Monitoring Solution Accelerator
- Lab 2: Customize a Solution Accelerator
- Lab 3: Connected Factory and IoT
- Lab 1: Understanding Requirements
- Lab 2: Understanding an RFP
- Lab 3: Responding to an RFP
- Lab 1: Planning a PoV
- Lab 2: Rollout to Production
- Lab 3: Scaling to Needs
- Lab 4: Retiring Assets
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain $99.00
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
Who can take this course?
Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this course: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this course in all locations. EdX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.