About this courseSkip About this course
In this course, participants will explore research-informed, effective practices for online teaching and learning. By enrolling, you will learn practical ways to quickly move into teaching online, guided by top scholars and practitioners in the field. Each module, you will watch videos and read articles by online learning experts and participate in activities and discussions covering critical topics that will make the online environment a rich learning experience for your students. The instructors will synthesize relevant resources to help those who are new to online learning and those who have experience, but want to expand their skills and provide support for others. You will have the opportunity to ask questions, share practices that have worked well in online learning environments, and receive feedback on your teaching and learning plans.
Given recent global developments related to COVID-19, many have rapidly shifted to move teaching online. For those who have not taught online before, this can be a challenging experience. Fortunately, there is a rich research base, dating back over sixty years, that provides insight and guidance on the key factors that enable successful learning online. This course will support the pivot to online learning by exploring the scientific literature as well as practical actions that enable online success and equitable outcomes for all learners.
While the target audience of the course is postsecondary institutions, this course will be of use to anyone moving into online teaching and learning.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
In this course, you will learn to:
- Develop a framework for rapidly moving from on-campus to online teaching
- Identify and use a range of content creation technologies that support presenting curriculum online
- Foster interaction online and promote deep engagement between students
- Implement mindsets of success, supporting students to create and share artifacts of their learning, develop their ideas collaboratively with others, and practice self-regulatory skills through goal setting and success monitoring
- Discover and use tools and technologies that enable you to perform common classroom actions online, such as assessment, demonstrations, and learning analytics
- Plan long-term online learning and the return to classroom teaching by adopting the best of the online environment to support in-class learning
Module 0: Preparing for the Course
Module 1: Getting Started Quickly
Module 2: Content Creation
Module 3: Fostering Interaction
Module 4: Assessment
Module 5: Moving Forward and Blended Learning
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$139 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
Essential must take course for moving online! Regardless of if you are a novice or seasoned online educator, there is something for everyone in this class. Lectures and activities guide you through resources, structure, building a community, aligning objectives with assessments, and more. It truly enhanced my pedagogy and delivery.
- Sarah from Wisconsin, USA