About this courseSkip About this course
Make a Right Choice in a Successful Life
A successful life depends on the choices you make. But how can you make theright choice in your life? In this course, you will learn that the answer lies in the application of positive values and powerful thinking skills.
Learn from Three Great Masters by Reading Comics
This course first introduces three influential conceptions of a successful life: personal happiness, duties to others and social benefits. You will learn these ideas from three great masters: Aristotle, Kant and Mill. Their insights help you understand many of the hidden assumptions of your own and other people’s outlooks on life. We will illustrate their ideas through a series of refreshing comics and interesting explanations. And you can compare your views with the global learners through the poll questions.
Identify a Successful Outlook on Life by Reflecting on Different Life and Death Situations
In addition, we will expound useful critical and creative thinking skills for your decision-making in different situations. They include the questions on your choice of personal identity, conception of love, decisions on life and death matters. A micro-movie on a particular life and death situation, featuring Hong Kong local actors and actresses, will illustrate a soul-searching case-study for the reflection of healthcare and counselling professionals as well as the general public. It will deepen your understanding on how to construct a successful outlook on life.
An Award-Winning MOOC for Laypersons and Professionals
This is 2.0 of the previous course on life and death. The 1.0 version has scooped praises from authentic global learners, and, upon its launching, received the prestigious prize Top Ten Most Popular MOOCs in November 2017 awarded by the Class Central, USA. This 2.0 version is built on the success of the previous version with a completely new course design and exciting elements.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Three outlooks on a successful life by three great masters: Aristotle, Kant and Mill
- Critical and creative thinking skills for different life and death situations
- Effective all-round thinking
Part1: Three Great Masters on a Successful Life
- Aristotle – Personal happiness
- Kant – Duties to others
- Mill – Consequences to society
- Application in a real job interview question: If you were asked by your boss to do something slightly immoral in order to save your company from closing down, would you do it or not?
Part 2: Practical Thinking Skills on Life Situations
- Critical and creative thinking skills
- Who are you? (Case study: Bruce Lee)
- How to love? (Case study: Nick Vujicic)
- How to make life decisions? (Case study: Jack Ma)
- How to make death decisions? (Case study: Steve Jobs)
- A case study for healthcare and counselling professionals: a micro-movie on life and death
Part 3: Conclusion
- What makes your life successful for you?
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$50.00
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
Praises from Authentic Global Learners on 1.0 Version of this Course
- A well-designed course, and a must-take course of the year!!!
- It's amazingly well organized and very thought provoking. I appreciate this work and encourage everyone to take a chance to learn from it.
- As a veteran of over 200 MOOCs I must say it is very well organised and the ebook is a really worthwhile resource not only for this course but as a reference book beyond the course. It is obvious that a lot of work and effort went into producing the MOOC.
- For the course e-book, I find it very handy and useful for me to run through the course, with great and thought-provoking content inside. Nicely-made!!
- It is a creative way to address questions raised by the course.
- This is great stuff!!!
- The course content is well-chosen
- Excellent video clips!!!
- The game cards … give a chance for learners to think about deep questions.