About this courseSkip About this course
In this course you will learn how to build AR apps with Xcode and look at the different ways to integrate web content into your iOS apps.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Use ARKit to create augmented reality scenes and objects for your apps
- Test and debug your AR app
- Connect to web services to fetch or send info to and from your app
Lesson 1:User interaction andhow to save data
- Writeand access files within Apps;
- Serializea data model for saving and loading data from and into Apps;
- Customisetables for adding, deleting andcustomisingactions;
- Create custom row actions.
Lesson 2: User input and system controls in Apps
- Displaying alerts, sharing content and sending messages from within Apps;
- Access to the camera and photo library on the device;
- Build custom forms for creating new object models;
- Get complex user input through forms, data collection and dynamic table views.
Lesson 3: Construct an AR App
- Learn how to use the AR app template;
- Investigate AR components and compare their differences with existing components;
- Build AR scenes in 3D space using objects;
- Determine planes and how objects interact with them.
Lesson 4: Interact with an AR App
- Add physics to an AR scene;
- Translation of user input within the scene;
- Introduction to AR Image Recognition.
Lesson 5: Closures and Animation
- Define and use closures;
- Use defined functions: sort, filter, reduce and map;
- Utilise animation for a greater user experience;
- Use UIKit to create animations.
Lesson 6: Communicate with the Web
- Describe requests and responses, and discover how are they built, used and analysed;
- Communicate with API's for existing data sources;
- Use URL components to dynamically query an API endpoint.
Lesson 7: An Introduction to JSON
- Decode JSON and convert into Swift types;
- Integrate with requests and responses from API's.
Lesson 8: Concurrency
- Why do we care about concurrency?
- Issues with multi-threading and the UI;
- How to complete tasks asynchronously.
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$149 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
Frequently asked questions
Do I need a Mac to take the course?
Yes, you will need access to a Mac which runs macOS10.14 and is capable of running Xcode10.
Do I need to know any programming languages before I start?
No, this course is designed for beginners and we will step you through all the programming required.
What version of Swift will I be learning?
Swift version 4.
Will I be able to create my own apps after completing the course?
Yes. The course will teach how to build a basic iOS app from scratch and program using Swift.
Can I sell my app on the App Store after I finish this course?
Of course you can - however please be aware that this is outside the scope of this program. While we can't guarantee that your app will be made available on the App Store; we will show you what steps are required to get it published and promoted by Apple.
I have a great idea for an app! Will you help me make a fortune by selling it on the App Store?
While we can't guarantee that you will make a fortune via the App Store - we will let you know what's involved.
We'll also provide you with insights from other iOS app developers who have experience with the App Store and may be able to provide you with some useful hints and tips.
Will I be able to create my own Android app after completing the course?
No. This course focuses on the development of iOS apps only.