About this courseSkip About this course
“Professional” sounds boring, right? Wrong! Join expert Andrew Byrne, who has more than 25 years of software development experience, and see how fun it can be to apply your coding skills to actual problems. Create an online portfolio of code on GitHub, and receive feedback from your peers through code reviews and discussions.
Being a professional developer is about managing change, evolving a codebase, maintaining quality, and keeping your users and your business safe.
As a new coder, step up your game as you learn and practice key skills that developers use every day. Work with a collection of code in a version control system like Git, use open source (OSS) libraries, make updates to existing code, improve its readability, and even take a look at security. Don’t miss this opportunity to be part of the team, and get practical experience with real code in a real coding environment.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Work with code that’s maintained in a version control system, such as Git.
- Improve code and make it easier to understand using refactoring, code comments, naming conventions and documentation.
- Update an existing code base.
- Code with confidence with the help of unit tests.
- Give and receive meaningful feedback in a peer code review.
- Contribute to Open-Source Software (OSS) projects on GitHub.
- Learn how to keep your code secure and respect your user’s privacy.
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$99.00
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally