What you will learn
- Devise the right marketing strategy for your idea or firm
- Use the vast information available in the world today to gain insight, create a competitive edge, and avoid being tomorrow’s data breach headline
- Evaluate corporate investment opportunities to drive shareholder value
- Use the language of business to communicate financial information to investors, shareholders, creditors, and regulators
- Interact with those in the “C” suite, speaking their language and making your case for your ideas
- Lead a team of people and use your influence to achieve strategic goals
- Create the right strategy for your firm to gain a competitive advantage over others in your market space, domestically and globally
Business knowledge is in high demand in every area of work. From high-tech start-ups to non-profits, organizations are looking to leverage best practices from the business world to achieve their objectives. That’s why the MBA is widely recognized as a career accelerator, regardless of the industry you’re in.
With the MicroMasters program in MBA Core Curriculum, you will develop business insights and learn to lead others to achieve strategic goals. You’ll learn the different functional areas of a firm, how each area defines success, and how the functions work together to create success in the marketplace. You will be able to build and lead successful teams, influence others, and deliver high-quality outcomes on time and within budget.
The MicroMasters program in MBA Core Curriculum has also been designed to grow your professional and social networks. We will help you find people like yourself, both in your region and around the world, who are looking to advance their careers. In addition to facilitated discussions in your classes, you will be encouraged to interact with colleagues in real time by forming small study groups, holding virtual coffee hours, and discussing current articles and trends in business.
Are you ready? Turbocharge your career with the MicroMasters program in MBA Core Curriculum from the University of Maryland’s Robert H. Smith School of Business.
Courses in this program
UMD and USMx's MBA Core Curriculum MicroMasters® Program
- Starts Sep 28, 20208–10 hours per week, for 7 weeks
Learn key marketing strategies and tactics to help your company develop products that match customers' needs, create awareness and demand for those products, and drive sales.
- Starts Aug 17, 20208–10 hours per week, for 7 weeks
Financial accounting is the language of business. Learn to effectively intepret financial information to make sound decisions and confidently communicate to other leaders in your firm and with potential investors, shareholders, and creditors.
- 8–10 hours per week, for 7 weeks
Learn about the explosion of technologies that are transforming business and how to strategically leverage technologies to maximize the value--and minimize the risk--to your firm.
- Starts Sep 14, 20208–10 hours per week, for 7 weeks
Use data analysis to gather critical business insights,identifymarket trends before your competitors, and gain advantages for your business.
- Starts Jul 13, 20208–10 hours per week, for 7 weeks
Learn how to capitalize on opportunities, and manage the challenges of the global marketplace, and leverage this dynamic environment for long-term value.
- Starts Aug 17, 20208–10 hours per week, for 7 weeks
Develop the ability to identify and resource high-value strategic initiatives and ensure a high rate of return for your firm's investments.
What is a MicroMasters Program?
MicroMasters programs are a series of graduate level courses from top universities designed to advance your career. MicroMasters program certificates showcase deep learning and in-demand skills to employers and can help you get started on a path toward completing an advanced degree.
How to Earn a MicroMasters Program Certificate
To earn the program certificate, learners must complete and successfully earn a verified certificate in all seven MicroMasters program courses.
From Program Certificate to a Master’s Degree
MicroMasters programs are designed to offer learners a pathway to an advanced degree and can count as credit toward completing a Master’s degree program. Learners who successfully earn this MicroMasters program certificate may apply for admission to a Master’s program, and if accepted, the MicroMasters program certificate will count towards the degree.
Those who successfully complete the MicroMasters program certificate are eligible to apply for admission to the Online MBA program at the Robert H. Smith School of Business. Once accepted, the MicroMasters program certificate will count towards 25 percent (14 credits) of the coursework required for graduation from the Smith program.
- Average salary for an MBA alumni: $142,000 USD (source: Financial Times https://www.ft.com/content/a2813230-d69b-11e7-a303-9060cb1e5f44)
- Near-term career prospects include roles such as consultant, product manager, financial analyst, data analyst and others in industries such as management consulting, financial service, consumer product goods, pharma firms, biotech, health care, & energy.
- Longer term career prospects include all roles in the C-Suite, across all functional areas (CEO, CFO, CIO, CMO).
Meet your instructors
Experts from UMD, USMx committed to teaching online learning
Today’s business environment is full of problems that are complex, ambiguous and fast-moving. The ability to think critically, assess problems and deliver innovative solutions is crucial for managers at Northrop Grumman. It’s exciting to see that University of Maryland is offering a MicroMasters program from the same professors who teach their #9-ranked Online MBA program, to help up-and-coming leaders develop these skills.
Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this program: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this program in all locations. EdX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.