What you will learn
- Use essential analytics tools like R, Python, SQL, and more.
- Understand fundamental models and methods of analytics, and how and when to apply them.
- Learn to build a data analysis pipeline, from collection and storage through analysis and interactive visualization.
- Apply your new analytics skills in a business context to maximize your impact.
Nominated for the 2020 edX Prize
Gain an interdisciplinary understanding of the essential fundamentals of analytics, including analysis methods, analytical tools, such as R, Python and SQL, and business applications.
Using common analytics software and tools, statistical and machine learning methods, and data-intensive computing and visualization techniques, learners will gain the experience necessary to integrate all of these parts for maximum impact.
Project experience is also included as part of the MicroMasters program. Through these projects, learners will hone their skills with data collection, storage, analysis, and visualization tools, as well as gain instincts for how and when each tool should be used.
These projects provide hands-on experience with real-world business applications of analytics and a deeper understanding of how to apply analytics skills to make the biggest difference.
Courses in this program
GTx's Analytics: Essential Tools and Methods MicroMasters® Program
- Starts Jan 14, 20218–10 hours per week, for 16 weeks
Learn essential analytics models and methods and how to appropriately apply them, using tools such as R, to retrieve desired insights.
- Starts Jan 14, 20218–10 hours per week, for 15 weeks
A hands-on introduction to basic programming principles and practice relevant to modern data analysis, data mining, and machine learning.
What is a MicroMasters Program?
MicroMasters programs are a series of graduate level courses from top universities designed to advance your career. MicroMasters program certificates showcase deep learning and in-demand skills to employers and can help you get started on a path toward completing an advanced degree.
How to Earn a MicroMasters Program Certificate
To earn the program certificate, learners must successfully complete and earn a verified certificate in all three of the MicroMasters program courses. Please note that the number of verified certificate learners in each course in this MicroMasters program is limited. When that limit is reached, the verified certificate enrollment will close in each course. Please see each course about pages for additional details.
From Program Certificate to a Master’s Degree
MicroMasters programs are designed to offer learners a pathway to an advanced degree and can count as credit toward completing a Master’s degree program. Learners who successfully earn this MicroMasters program certificate may apply for admission to several Master’s programs, and if accepted, the MicroMasters program certificate will count towards the degree.
The Analytics MicroMasters program is comprised of three foundational courses from Georgia Tech's full, interdisciplinary Online Master of Science in Analytics (OMS Analytics) degree available for less than $10,000. The MicroMasters program can serve as a helpful introduction to the degree experience.
Anyone with a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent may apply to the OMS Analytics program, but the successful completion of one or more of these MicroMasters courses can help your application stand out in the admissions process. If admitted, learners have the opportunity to apply up to 9 hours (3 courses) of the edX MicroMasters program certificate as advanced standing credit toward the total of 36 hours required for the degree.
- Projected shortage of 140,000-190,000 people with deep analytical skills and 1.5 million analytics-trained managers by 2018 (source: McKinsey Global Institute 2011)
- Increase of 4.4 million analytics jobs from 2013 to 2015, with a third unfilled due to lack of trained applicants (source: Gartner Inc. 2013)
- 97% of companies with revenues over $100 million use analytics (source: Bloomberg Business Week), but 42% of employers believe their employees don’t have the necessary analytics skills (source: Deloitte 2013)
- Career prospects for people with similar training include data scientist, data analyst, statistician, business analyst, consultant, research analyst, operations research analyst, analytics manager, modeling engineer (source: INFORMS Career Center)
Meet your instructors
Experts from GTx committed to teaching online learning
Equifax has a growing need for employees with analytical skills. The edX Analytics MicroMasters coursework from Georgia Tech provides a strong tool for developing the critical capabilities we are looking for - whether for new talent or those who are transitioning to a new analytics-oriented career at Equifax.
Tech Mahindra is guaranteeing interviews at its India locations for edX learners who successfully complete this MicroMasters program and meet other hiring criteria. Today’s disruptive business landscape demands for our talents to be future ready and it is our prime responsibility that the right tools and innovative pathways are facilitated for them... We are excited to work together with edX because careers will be facilitated with a blended learning environment, as well as this gives us the opportunity to bring in new ideas to the table and enhance our customer’s experiences.
- Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this program: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this program in all locations. EdX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.