What you will learn
- Comprehend the foundations of modern finance.
- Understand the basics of corporate finance, capital budgeting, real and financial options, capital structure, yield curve analysis, and corporate risk management.
- Apply financial decision making, the theory of efficient markets, valuation theory, financial securities, risk analysis, portfolio theory, derivatives pricing, hedging strategies based on duration and convexity, and asset pricing models.
- Identify the basic structure of financial reports and the process of recording transactions. Understand how investors, creditors, and other users analyze financial statements to assess corporate performance.
- Perform applied computational techniques in R and apply advanced mathematical topics in financial engineering and quantitative finance using linear algebra, optimization, probability, stochastic processes, and statistics.
The skills and expertise required for a career in finance are in high demand across countless industries. From asset management, to corporations, to official institutions, the career opportunities for qualified finance professionals continue to grow and evolve. For example, demand for financial analysts is predicted to grow at a faster than average rate of 11% through 2026 (Source). And according to Glassdoor, the median salary of a quantitative financial analyst was $106,575. (Source)
The MITx MicroMasters® Program in Finance offers recent graduates, early to mid-stage professionals, and other individuals interested in pursuing a career in finance, an opportunity to advance in the finance field or fast-track an MIT Sloan Master of Finance through a rigorous, comprehensive online curriculum, delivered by the world-renowned MIT Sloan School of Management.
Drawn from the STEM-based curriculum taught on campus, all five online courses in this program mirror on-campus graduate-level MIT coursework and cover the following topics: modern finance, financial accounting, mathematical methods for quantitative finance, and derivatives markets. Learners who complete and pass each course in this online program may earn a MicroMasters program certificate in finance, and are considered affiliate members of the MIT Alumni Association. Those learners are eligible to apply to the MIT Sloan Master of Finance and upon acceptance, earn credit for the work performed online.
Courses in this program
MITx's Finance MicroMasters® Program
- Starts Apr 7, 2021
How do investors, creditors, and other users analyze financial statements to assess corporate performance. Learn financial accounting, how to read financial statements, and input valuation models for better corporate finance decision-making.
- Starts Jul 7, 2021
Learn the mathematical foundations essential for financial engineering and quantitative finance: linear algebra, optimization, probability, stochastic processes, statistics, and applied computational techniques in R.
- Starts Sep 29, 2021
Financial derivatives are ubiquitous in global capital markets. Students will obtain a sophisticated understanding of valuation methods; tools for quantifying, hedging, and speculating on risk; and a basic familiarity with major markets and instruments.
What is a MicroMasters Program?
MicroMasters programs are a series of graduate level courses from top universities designed to advance your career. MicroMasters program certificates showcase deep learning and in-demand skills to employers and can help you get started on a path toward completing an advanced degree.
How to Earn a MicroMasters Program Certificate
To earn the program certificate, learners must complete and successfully earn a verified certificate in all five MicroMasters program courses, which include 5 virtually-proctored exams
From Program Certificate to a Master’s Degree
MicroMasters programs are designed to offer learners a pathway to an advanced degree and can count as credit toward completing a Master’s degree program. Learners who successfully earn this MicroMasters program certificate may apply for admission to a Master’s program, and if accepted, the MicroMasters program certificate will count towards the degree.
Learners who earn a Finance MicroMasters program credential may apply to the MIT Sloan Master of Finance Program, and upon acceptance, would be credited 42 academic units. It will allow the students to waive the summer term in residence.
Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) will also offer a pathway for credit for MITx MicroMasters credential holders in Finance towards the completion of RIT’s Master of Science in Professional Studies .
- A recent report by IBM and Burning Glass states that the demand for data-driven finance positions accounts for 19% of all job openings in the finance industry.
- Quants can make anywhere from $125,000 to $500,000 + in the field of finance.
- Demand for financial analysts is predicted to grow at a faster than average rate of 11% through 2026.
Meet your instructors
Experts from MITx committed to teaching online learning
Goldman Sachs is always seeking candidates with the right balance of foundational financial knowledge and leading edge quantitative expertise. Completing the MITx MicroMasters®️ Program in Finance indicates a level of skill and commitment that we look for when hiring or promoting finance professionals.
- MicroMasters programs are a series of graduate level courses from top universities designed to advance your career. MicroMasters program certificates showcase deep learning and in-demand skills to employers and can help you get started on a path toward completing an advanced degree.
- To earn the program certificate, learners must complete and successfully earn a verified certificate in all five MicroMasters program courses, which include 5 virtually-proctored exams.