What you will learn
- Understand the strengths and weaknesses of various leadership styles, and gain insight into your own leader tendencies.
- Improve your ability to lead complex modern organisations by developing your decision-making skills.
- Better engage your people, and develop more collaborative teams.
- Navigate the broader social issues and political pressures impacting your business.
- Lead more effective change initiatives in your organization
Business leadership is more than just a fancy job title and a corner office. Effective leadership requires a deep understanding of the organisation; the people who run it; the context in which it operates; and perhaps most importantly, self-insight. By building these competencies, the Business Leadership MicroMasters program prepares both emerging and experienced managers for facing the challenges of leadership.
Each course in the MicroMasters program integrates current academic theories with the wisdom of experienced leaders, providing a learning experience that can’t be accomplished in the classroom alone. The objective: empower learners with the knowledge and skill to act effectively as leaders.
This MicroMasters program is intended for people who are interested in becoming effective leaders within their organization. This program and capstone project will teach you the skills needed to inspire your colleagues and to evolve your business.
Courses in this program
UQx's Business Leadership MicroMasters® Program
- 8–10 hours per week, for 10 weeks
Learn effective strategies for developing, articulating, and implementing organizational change initiatives that can help lead your organization to success.
- Starts Feb 9, 20212–4 hours per week, for 3 weeks
Apply your leadership skills through a series of in-depth assessments and earn your completed Business Leadership Micromasters® Credential.
What is a MicroMasters Program?
MicroMasters programs are a series of graduate level courses from top universities designed to advance your career. MicroMasters program certificates showcase deep learning and in-demand skills to employers and can help you get started on a path toward completing an advanced degree.
How to Earn a MicroMasters Program Certificate
To earn the MicroMasters program certificate, learners must complete and successfully earn a verified certificate in all four Business Leadership courses and pass the Capstone Assessment course. The Capstone Assessment involves a knowledge test, a leadership reflection essay, and a video presentation.
From Program Certificate to a Master Degree
Learners who successfully earn the MicroMasters program certificate are eligible for credit into two postgraduate degrees at UQ:
- Master of Leadership in Service Innovation (offered online); or
- Master of Business (MBus) (offered on-campus)
Certificate holders who meet program entry requirements will receive the equivalent of one semester of credit (8 units) towards either program.
This MicroMasters counts as 8 of the 24 credit units required for the Master of Leadership in Service Innovation program. Enjoy the flexibility of a program that's taught online with a part time workload. The program is accessible to students around the world, with increased flexibility. You can choose to study at times that suit your work and life commitments.
Otherwise, complete your Master of Business studies in sunny Brisbane, Australia and reduce your study time by 6 months (12-18 months of full-time study remaining for the MBus degree completion). Continue your studies in Leadership, or choose one of our other specialisations: Advertising, Human Resource Management,Information Systems, Innovation and Entrepreneurship, International Business, Marketing or Organisational Sustainability.
Find out more at https://future-students.uq.edu.au
- More than 80% of responding employers say they look for leadership skills and the ability to work in a team on a candidate’s resume (Source: NACE’s Job Outlook 2016 Survey).
- Over 500,000 jobs in US (requiring a master’s degree) looking for candidates with the following skills - leadership, decision making, teamwork / collaboration, management, and change management. (Source: BurningGlass).
- In-demand jobs seeking leadership skills include software engineers, account managers, business analysts, marketing managers, and sales managers.
Meet your instructors
Experts from UQx committed to teaching online learning
Our industry does not progress on individual performance – success comes, in part, from collaborative teams and inspirational leaders. If a charismatic candidate knocks on the Woollam door with a UQx MicroMasters credential in Business Leadership and the authenticity to build and drive a high performing team – then we know they are bringing a powerful competitive advantage to the job.
Our Virgin Australia leaders and their teams are key to ensuring we deliver the world’s most rewarding travel experience to our approximately 23 million guests who fly each year. Complementing our existing UQ Executive Education partnership, the UQx MicroMasters in Business Leadership program provides an effective opportunity to learn the fundamentals of leadership, without the constraints of a traditional classroom environment.
- No leadership experience is required, although learners will greatly benefit from drawing on their own personal employment history, including any management experience.
- To enroll in UQ’s on-campus MBus program, learners must apply and qualify for program entry. Upon admission, learners with a completed MicroMasters program certificate can apply for 8 units of credit towards their MBus studies.
- The MicroMasters program certificate is intended as introductory coursework constituting an alternative entry pathway into the MBus program. Existing UQ students are not eligible to enroll in the MicroMasters program for academic credit.
- Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this program: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this program in all locations. EdX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.