What you will learn
- Define sustainability and its implications for global energy
- Describe the principles of energy generation, supply and demand from the range of available technology options
- Evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of energy technology options for different locations
- Define the role of science and policy in transitioning to a sustainable energy future
- Understand scenario planning, risk assessment, stakeholder management, communication and engagement skills
Learn about the complex nature of energy generation, distribution and supply, and the challenges of transitioning to a sustainable energy future.
The UQx Sustainable Energy Micromasters program has four courses (ENGY0x, ENGY1x, ENGY2x and ENGY3x) and the final Capstone Assessment.
You can choose to complete one course, or you may like to complete two or more courses throughout the year.
You may even choose to enroll in two or more courses at the same time (if you have most of the week to study).
If you wish to gain a Sustainable Energy MicroMasters certificate, you will need to pass all four ENGYx courses and pass the final Capstone Assessment.
There are two enrollment options: (i) Verified enrollment track and (ii) Audit enrollment track.
We recommend that you enroll in the audit enrollment track first. If you wish to complete the assessment tasks with the aim to achieve at least 70% in the final grade and a course certificate, you must upgrade to the verified enrollment track and pay the verified enrollment fee within the first seven weeks from when the course opened (preferably earlier). If you miss the verified enrollment upgrade deadline you can continue with the course as an audit learner and enroll as a verified learner in the next run of the course (and complete the assessment tasks then).
The verified enrollment track is where a participant pays the enrollment fee, has their identity confirmed and completes the graded assessment tasks.
To pass the course as a verified learner, a verified learner must achieve at least 70% in the final grade for the course. The final examination is timed and has a weight of 30 - 40%. The written paper (written in English) has a weight of 50%, is submitted to Turnitin, a text-matching software, and is instructor-marked.
If you enroll in the audit track, you will have access to all the videos and other resources while the course is open, but you will not have access to the graded assessment tasks. In addition, audit participants will not be eligible to receive a course certificate upon completion of the course.
Both enrollment tracks are valuable. However, if you decide to enroll in the verified enrollment track, please ensure you will be able to write a university Master-level paper in the English language.
Plagiarism and cheating, including (i) copying and pasting text from other sources and (ii) using information from other sources without full and correct referencing, will result in a grade of zero.
Courses in this program
UQx's Sustainable Energy MicroMasters® Program
- Started Sep 8, 202010–12 hours per week, for 14 weeks
An introduction to the language of energy, key scientific principles that underpin energy systems, future energy challenges and available renewable energy options.
- Started Sep 8, 202010–12 hours per week, for 14 weeks
Analyse the role of current energy supply systems, including coal, hydrocarbons and nuclear, as well as emerging carbon storage technologies for the transition to low carbon energy supply.
How To Earn The MicroMasters Program Certificate
Complete and successfully earn a Verified Certificate in all four ENGYx courses with a pass of 70% or above. Then complete the Capstone Assessment, by invitation. The Capstone Assessment involves an online interview about your written papers
Take Your Credential To The Next Level
You may be able to combine your MicroMasters program certificate with on-campus courses at The University of Queensland (UQ) to earn a Master of Sustainable Energy (MSE) degree.
- Career prospects include: energy regulations or energy efficiency consultant; energy markets analyst; energy advisor or planner; project manager in renewable energy; business development in energy; operations manager in energy; energy efficiency engineer
Meet your instructors
Experts from UQx committed to teaching online learning
As the world’s peak advocacy body for carbon capture and storage (CCS), the Global CCS Institute is acutely aware of the importance of ensuring that decision-makers have an enhanced understanding of complex energy systems. This online Sustainable Energy MicroMasters program offers today’s and tomorrow’s leaders an accessible conduit in which to build the capacity they need to address the challenges associated with providing universal access to affordable, secure and reliable energy in an environmentally responsible and sustainable manner.
As an investor in disruptive energy related technologies, StBEIF is always on the look-out for companies and people who can see behind the vested interests and political hype surrounding critical energy supply questions. The University of Queensland’s Sustainable Energy MicroMasters program challenges students to find the sustainable balance of economic, social and environmental drivers by evaluating the business case for energy investments, the real costs of intermittency, the need for baseload power to support industry, the role of markets and regulation, and the case for technology neutrality. It equips people for a sensible debate!
- MicroMasters programs are a series of graduate level courses from top universities designed to advance your career. They provide deep learning in a specific career field and are recognized by employers for their real job relevance. Students may apply to the university offering credit for the MicroMasters certificate and, if accepted, can pursue an accelerated and less expensive Master’s Degree.
- The program is designed for mid-career managers and advanced professionals working in sustainable energy or related fields, who desire to acquire the knowledge and skills to step up to leadership roles in this exciting and challenging discipline.
- You will receive an individual verified certificate for each MicroMasters program course that you pass as a verified student. Verified students who pass all four ENGYx courses and the Capstone Assessment will receive a Sustainable Energy MicroMasters certificate.
- The four courses can be taken in any order, but we recommend beginning with ENGY0x Energy Principles and Renewable Energy. You may enroll in more than one course at the same time.
- The Capstone Assessment will be offered by invitation and will take place online at a time convenient to you and the Sustainable Energy MicroMasters Program Coordinator
- The Capstone Assessment will test your knowledge from all four courses and enable you to demonstrate ownership and originality of your work.
- No. Successful completion of the Sustainable Energy MicroMasters program certificate can be one of the entry requirements for the UQ Master of Sustainable Energy (MSE). You may be able to combine your MicroMasters program certificate with on-campus courses at The University of Queensland (UQ) to earn the MSE degree. For more information on UQ eligibility requirements, please visit The University of Queensland website: https:/future-students.uq.edu.au/study/program/Master-of-Sustainable-Energy-5684
- Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this program: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this program in all locations. EdX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.