Before you start
- Discrete Mathematics - sets, functions, relations; proofs, and proofs by induction; Boolean logic
- Basic probability
- Basic knowledge of Java
What you will learn
- How to represent data in ways that allow you to access it efficiently in the ways you need to
- How to analyze the efficiency of algorithms
- How to bootstrap solutions on small inputs into algorithmic solutions on bigger inputs
- Solutions to several classic optimization problems
- How to critically analyze whether a locally optimal approach (greedy) can provide a globally optimal solution to a problem
Week 2: Algorithm Design Paradigms - Divide-and-Conquer algorithms, Dynamic Programming, Greedy Algorithms
Week 3: Graphs and graph traversals; minimum spanning trees; shortest paths
Week 4: Flows; NP-completeness; Approximation Algorithms
How do you optimally encode a text file? How do you find shortest paths in a map? How do you design a communication network? How do you route data in a network? What are the limits of efficient computation?
This course, part of the Computer Science Essentials for Software Development Professional Certificate program, is an introduction to design and analysis of algorithms, and answers along the way these and many other interesting computational questions.
You will learn about algorithms that operate on common data structures, for instance sorting and searching; advanced design and analysis techniques such as dynamic programming and greedy algorithms; advanced graph algorithms such as minimum spanning trees and shortest paths; NP-completeness theory; and approximation algorithms.
After completing this course you will be able to design efficient and correct algorithms using sophisticated data structures for complex computational tasks.
PennX's Computer Science Essentials for Software Development Professional Certificate
Earn a Professional Certificate in 2-4 months if courses are taken one at a time.View the program
- 24–32 hours of effort
Learn the fundamentals of object-oriented programming in Java, as well as best practices of modern software development.
- 32–40 hours of effort
Learn how to select, apply, and analyze the most appropriate data representations in your code and design high quality software that is easy to understand and modify.
- Algorithm Design and Analysis
- 24–32 hours of effort
Get started in computer scienceBrowse over 600 computer science courses