Analytics for the Classroom Teacher
About this courseSkip About this course
Do you want to be more reflective in your teaching practice and wonder if there are technologies that can help? Are you curious about how data-driven, evidence-based teaching practices can improve your students’ learning? This is the course for you!
Analytics for the Classroom Teacher is an introduction to the emerging field of teaching and learning analytics from the perspective of a classroom teacher.
Experts from all over the world will provide an overview of the current state-of-the-art in teaching and learning analytics. You’ll learn how teachers, curriculum developers and policy makers are collecting and analysing data from the classroom to help guide decisions at all levels.
The course will then focus on the school teacher, and how data analytics can help you to make improvements in your classroom.
You’ll learn to use analytics to improve your lesson plans and your delivery of those plans, and discover more about your students' learning.
No previous knowledge in data-driven instruction, teaching and learning analytics is needed. Join us and a large community of innovative teachers from around the globe and become a pioneer of teaching and learning analytics in your school.
At a glance
- Institution: CurtinX
- Subject: Education & Teacher Training
- Level: Introductory
- Language: English
- Video Transcript: English
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- How educational data analytics can improve classroom teaching and learning, as well as supporting data-driven decision making at various levels of school operations
- An understanding of the current state-of-the-art in teaching and learning analytics tools and methods
- How teaching analytics can be used to analyse your lesson plans
- How learning analytics can be used to analyse the classroom delivery of your lesson plan and reveal more about your students' learning
- How you can reflect on your teaching practice by combining insights from both teaching and learning analytics
Module 0 - Orientation
Familiarisation of participants with the course structure, policies and outline.
Module 1 - Introduction to educational data for supporting data-driven decision making in school education
This module will:
- Introduce the concept of educational data
- Discuss how educational data can be used to inform data-driven decision-making at various levels of school operations, strengthening school autonomy
- Identify data literacy for teachers as a core competency for supporting not only school accountability and compliance to (national) regulatory standards, but also continuous school self-evaluation and improvement
- Introduce the need for data analytics technologies for efficient and effective educational data-driven decision-making, and highlight learning analytics and teaching analytics, which will be further discussed in the course
Module 2 - Teaching analytics: Analyse your lesson plans to improve them
This module will:
- Introduce the need to capture and document teaching designs using lesson plans
- Define the concept of teaching analytics as a way to enable the analysis of a teaching design and reflection upon it
- Present the current state-of-the-art in teaching analytics tools that can be used by classroom teachers
- Demonstrate how to use teaching analytics tools to analyse a lesson plan
Module 3 - Learning analytics: Analyse the classroom delivery of your lesson plans and discover more about your students
This module will:
- Discuss the concept of personalisation in 21st century school education and the need for generating, updating and maintaining accurate student profiles
- Define the concept of learning analytics as the means for supporting personalised teaching and learning, through the measurement, collection, analysis and reporting of students’ educational data generated during the learning process
- Present the current state-of-the-art in learning analytics methods and tools that can be used by classroom teachers
- Demonstrate how to use learning analytics tools to analyse the classroom delivery of a lesson plan, identify individual student needs and better support the individual student
Module 4 - Teaching and learning analytics to support teacher inquiry
This module will:
- Introduce the concept of reflective practice as an important instrument for practice-based professional development as well as organisational learning and improvement
- Define the concept of teacher inquiry as a key method for data-driven reflection on-action, related to the process where teachers build useful knowledge about teaching and learning through the deliberate and systematic study of their own practice
- Present indicative teaching and learning analytics tools that can support teacher inquiry
- Demonstrate how to use teaching and learning analytics tools to reflect on your teaching practice.
Module 5 – Conclusion
This concluding module will allow participants to:
- Finalise their assignments
- Discuss their overall MOOC learning experience with their peers, and
- Reflect on their learning experience by submitting a course review and feedback survey.
Learner testimonialsSkip Learner testimonials
"I really loved all of it. I learned so much. I teach university in Strasbourg, France and technologically speaking, we are in the 19th century. I had the feeling that technology like this should exist and I was right - it does. You course has in a fast, efficient and pleasant manner made me technology literate. Now it is up to me to drag my colleagues into the 21st century!" -- Previous Learner