About this courseSkip About this course
Within the duration of the lectures, you will gain an insightful understanding of the standardized requirements for an environmental management system that an organization can use to enhance its environmental performance. The aim of the course is to provide basic knowledge about application of ISO 14001 for waste prevention in order to provide value for the environment, the organization itself and its interested parties. The practical examples and cases of the course are focused at the industrial waste prevention at companies’ level.
Competences which you will obtain:
● Development of waste management system in accordance with ISO 14001 (environmental policy development, significant aspects' identification, stakeholder analysis, environmental program creation, audit conducting, etc.).
● Enhance quality and effectiveness of environmental management system of organizations related to waste prevention.
● Achieving outcomes of an environmental (waste) management system: enhancement of environmental performance; fulfillment of compliance obligations; achievement of environmental objectives and waste prevention.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Voluntary international environmental standards.
- An applied ISO 14001 for waste management system development and waste prevention.
- Risk assessment of waste management programs.
- Basic principles of the environmental audit and corrective action plan development.
Week 1: Introduction in the international environmental standards
Welcome and introduction to voluntary international environmental standards, the ISO 14000 family and a brief history of development of system requirements to environmental management.
Week 2: ISO 14001 - Basic principles and methodology
Learning of basic principles and methodology of ISO 14001 including system approach and risk oriented thinking.
Week 3: Leadership and commitment. Planning of environmental management system
Discussion about the role of top management in the waste management and waste prevention. Suggestion of the approach to planning of the environmental management system.
Week 4: Middle Test
Week 5: Support and operation for waste prevention
Focusing on resources which need to be provided to support the management system, including providing competent people, appropriately maintained infrastructure and environment, as well as monitoring and measuring equipment and its calibration.
Week 6: Performance evaluation
Explanation of performance evaluation which takes over from evaluation, data analysis, and monitoring and measurement. Introduction in internal audit and management review.
Week 7: Improvement
Summarizing the obtained knowledge to improve the suitability, adequacy, and effectiveness of the management system.
Week 8: Final Test
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$99.00
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
As environmental manager I was interested in this course. The course helped me to implement and develop environmental management system in the organization. MOOC allowed me to combine the working and learning. - Alexandra Zabelina, environmental manager, Solid Waste Landfill "Noviy Svet - ECO"