About this courseSkip About this course
This is the 3rd course in the intermediate, undergraduate-level offering that makes up the larger Programming and Data Structures MicroBachelors program. We recommend taking them in order, unless you have a background in these areas already and feel comfortable skipping ahead.
- Introduction to Programming in C++
- Advanced Programming in C++
- Introduction to Data Structures
- Advanced Data Structures
These topics build upon the learnings that are taught in the introductory-level Computer Science Fundamentals MicroBachelors program, offered by the same instructor.
This is a self-paced course that continues in the development of C++ programming skills. Among the topics covered is the development of more advanced command-line programs that utilize Pointers, Dynamic Storage, Recursion, Searching, Sorting to solve problems. Students learn how to use and program these data structures through the lectures and the labs. C++ programming material is presented over eight weeks of interactive lectures with quizzes to assess your understanding of the material Students will experience hands-on practice writing C++ programs through fourteen lab challenges.
Students will not only learn to use data structures to organize, manage, and storage in formats that enable efficient access and modification. A data structure is a collection of data values, the relationships among them, and the functions or operations that can be applied to the data.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of object-oriented programming by using structures and classes in software projects.
- Use object-oriented programming techniques to develop executable programs that include elements such as inheritance and polymorphism.
- Apply basic searching and sorting algorithms in software design.
- Apply single-and multi-dimensional arrays in software.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of programming methodologies, including object oriented, structured, and procedural programming.
- Design and develop programs that recursion to solve problems that can be expressed with recurrence.
Wk 1 - Pointers
- Dynamic Arrays
- Pointer Arithmetic
Wk 2 - Pointers Labs
Wk 3 - Recursions
- Mathematical Induction
Wk 4 - Recursion Labs
Week 5 - Searching
- Linear vs. Logarithmic
Wk 6 - Searching Labs
Wk 7 - Sorting
- Sorting Algorithms
- Runtime Analysis
Wk 8 - Sorting Labs
Week 9 - Object Oriented Programming
- Accessors and Mutators
- Operator Overloading
Wk 10 - OO Labs
Wk 11 - Final Exam
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$332 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally