There is one session available:
Computer Hardware and Operating Systems
About this courseSkip About this course
This is a self-paced course that provides an Introduction to Computer Hardware and Operating Systems
This course will cover topics including:
- Fundamentals of system hardware
- Introduction to OS concepts
- OS processes and threads
- Thread concurrency and deadlocks
- Memory management
If you are enrolled in the verified track (paid track) in any course that is a part of a MicroBachelors program, including this course, you are eligible for coaching at no additional cost. Please note that coaching is only available via SMS to U.S. phone lines.
Our coaches (real humans) are ready to help you with career exploration, navigating resources, staying motivated, and solving problems along the way to your goals.
Learn more about the value of coaching directly from one of our coaches, Erin.
At a glance
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
By the end of this course students should be able to:
- Define a computer
- Define what an operating system is
- Describe components of an operating system
- Describe how threads work in an operating system
- Describe how memory works in an operating system
- Describe how data is represented and how computers execute instructions to use and modify data in order to solve problems.
- Week 1 - Fundamentals of system hardware
- Week 2 - Introduction to OS concepts
- Week 3 - Processes & threads
- Week 4 - Thread concurrency and deadlocks
- Week 5 - Memory management
- Week 6 - Exam