About this courseSkip About this course
What is service? While the existing discourse on services emphasizes customer satisfaction, hospitality, and clear design, this course offers a radically new perspective on services.
The coursework will explore major underlying theories of service, including customer satisfaction and service quality. In addition, learners will be exposed to competitive analyses, and explore the contradictory relationships inherent in services from an intersubjective perspective.
In this business and management course, you will learn how to analyze customer interactions, using video data taken in actual service organizations. Through discussions of a variety of services such as sushi bars, restaurants, hotels, and apparel, you will explore the complex nuances and begin to see services differently.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Radical perspective on the culture of customer service
- Basics of customer service research
- How to critique and design services
- How to analyze customer interactions
- Discuss the general characteristics of service
- We can start to see the paradoxical nature of service.
- Review some major theories of service such as customer satisfaction and service quality.
- Learn to analyze recorded interactions in detail
- Gain a critical understanding of the concept of hospitality
- Learn the social struggle over cultural aesthetic, taste, and manners.
- Understand the contradictory relationship of service from intersubjective perspective
- Discuss service design that goes beyond human-centered design
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain $49.00
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally