Choose your session:
About this courseSkip About this course
Please Note: Learners who successfully complete this IBM course can earn a skill badge — a detailed, verifiable and digital credential that profiles the knowledge and skills you’ve acquired in this course. Enroll to learn more, complete the course and claim your badge!
This course gives you the background needed to understand basic Cybersecurity. You will learn the history of Cybersecurity exploring motives of cyber attacks to further your knowledge of current cyber threats to organizations and individuals. Key terminology, basic system concepts and tools will be examined as an introduction to the Cybersecurity field.
You will learn about critical thinking and its importance to anyone looking to pursue a career in Cybersecurity.
Finally, you will begin to learn about organizations and resources to further research cybersecurity issues in the Modern era.
At a glance
- Institution: IBM
- Subject: Computer Science
- Level: Introductory
- Language: English
- Video Transcript: English
- Associated programs:
- Professional Certificate in IBM Cybersecurity Fundamentals
- Associated skills: Cyber Threat Intelligence, Critical Thinking, Cyber Security
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Define cybersecurity and describe key terms
- Describe how penetration testing is used in cybersecurity
- Explain the role of cryptography in cybersecurity and how it is used.
- Describe the purpose, function and types of firewalls
- Describe the CIA triad and what is meant by confidentiality, integrity and availability.
- Describe social engineering and how it is used in phishing and vishing attacks.
- Describe the different types of cybersecurity attack models.
- Describe why critical thinking is such an important skill for a cybersecurity professional.
Module 1: History of Cybersecurity
This module will give you a brief overview of the history of cybersecurity. You will also learn key terms and roles in cybersecurity.
Module 2: A brief overview of types of actors and their motives
This module will provide you with a brief overview of types of actors and their motives. You will also understand different types of attacks and their impact on an organization and individuals. You will also learn about tools that are available to you to assist in any cybersecurity investigation.
Module 3: An overview of key security concepts
This module will describe various key security concepts that are important in any cybersecurity position. The CIA Triad will be further explained. You will also begin to learn the significance of incident response and frameworks around cybersecurity. Finally, you will get an overview of IT Governance best practices and compliance.
Module 4: An overview of key security tools.
In this module, you will be introduced to key security tools including firewalls, anti-virus and cryptography. You will explore penetration testing and digital forensics. You will learn where you can get resources on industry and current threats to assist in further research around cybersecurity.