Design of mound breakwaters for feasibility studies. Cubipod® Manual 2016
About this courseSkip About this course
This course is intended for professionals of coastal and port engineering who work in the preliminary design and feasibility studies of breakwaters. The course is planned for civil engineers and other professionals familiar with common coastal and port engineering concepts and terminology. The goal of this course is to provide the tools to create feasible designs of mound breakwaters protected with Cubipod® armors fulfiling the prescribed economic, functional and safety requirements. Cubipod® is a massive concrete armor unit, the only one which can be safely and easily used in single- and double-layer armoring. This course will be beneficial if you are a civil engineer analyzing variants for breakwaters and feasibility studies.
This course is focused on Cubipod® armored breakwaters, considering the logistic constraints and minimizing the economic cost as well as the carbon and energy footprints. During the feasibility studies, different workable preliminary designs are compared; later, several alternatives are analyzed in detail. This course facilitates the preliminary design of single- and double-layer Cubipod® armored breakwaters. This course is organized in seven modules corresponding to the seven chapters of the Cubipod® Manual 2016, which will be used as the basic reference book.
At a glance
- Institution: UPValenciaX
- Subject: Engineering
- Level: Advanced
General knowledge of Civil Engineering and particular knowledge of Coastal and Port Engineering. Previous knowledge of basic concepts and terminology commonly used in Coastal and Port Engineering is also required, such as “significant wave height”, “peak period”, “crown wall”, “return period”, “stability number”, etc.
- Language: English
- Video Transcript: English
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
In this course you will learn:
- the main characteristics of mound breakwaters and armor layers,
- the fundamental concepts to be taken into consideration to study alternatives and to estimate costs, with special attention on the use of Cubipods to protect mound breakwaters,
- the estimation of the hydraulic stability of single- and double-layer Cubipod® armors, run-up, overtopping and forces on crown walls,
- the assessment of the structural integrity of Cubipods, the manufacturing process, handling, stacking and placement on the armor layer and
- the rules to make a preliminary design of a Cubipod® armored mound breakwater. The objective is to learn how to find feasible designs of single- or double-layer Cubipod® armored breakwaters fulfiling the prescribed economic, functional and safety requirements.
- Hydraulic stability of the armor layer
- Overtopping and forces on crown wall
- Structural integrity of cubipod® armor units
- Manufacture, handling and stacking of cubipods
- Cubipod® placement in the armor
- Example. Preliminary design of a mound breakwater
- Final exam