About this courseSkip About this course
Detention storage structures and storm sewer systems are used to store and transport rainfall-runoff through open ditched and underground pipes.
In this course, we will:
- Learn about spatial distribution of rainfall, perform statistical analysis, fit different distributions to the data, and calculate design rainfall.
- Learn to estimate runoff using the rational method and time of concentration, and use the SCS-CN method to determine the time distribution of runoff. Unit hydrograph theory and computation of storm hydrographs will be covered.
- Use regulations to design storm sewer systems using EPA-SWMM.
- Compute storage volumes for detention storage structures.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Determine design rainfall and calculate runoff using rational method, SCS curve number method and unit hydrograph theory.
- Calculate stormwater flows.
- Analyze and design storm sewer systems and detention storage volumes by rational method.
- Identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems.
- Week 1: Rainfall temporal and spatial variation, design rainfall and hydrologic risk
- Week 2: Runoff using Rational Method, storm sewer design
- Week 3: Detention storage design, SCS CN method
- Week 4: Hydrographs, SCS triangular and curvilinear unit hydrographs
- Week 5: Superposition, computing runoff hydrographs from unit hydrograph theory
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$750 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
edX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
Who can take this course?
Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this course: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this course in all locations. edX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.