About this courseSkip About this course
This course is part of ASU's Professional Writing MicroBachelors program. If you complete the two courses that are part of this program with a passing grade, you can earn transferable credit from one of edX's university credit partners.
Language and the ability to communicate effectively are critical skills in the global economy and in our daily social exchanges, but they are also essential to gaining a deeper understanding of who we are.
This introductory writing course will help you develop and express ideas effectively for a variety of personal and professional purposes, audiences, and occasions.
During the course, you will complete several major writing projects, keep a regular writer's journal, and maintain a writer's website, where you will showcase your work and demonstrate what you have learned. If you wish to earn university credit, we will ask you to complete all assignments.
If you are enrolled in the verified track (paid track) in any course that is a part of a MicroBachelors program, including this course, you are eligible for coaching at no additional cost. Please note that coaching is only available via SMS to U.S. phone lines.
Our coaches (real humans) are ready to help you with career exploration, navigating resources, staying motivated, and solving problems along the way to your goals.
Learn more about the value of coaching directly from one of our coaches, Erin.
At a glance
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Rhetorical Knowledge: how to craft your writing to meet the needs of specific audiences for specific purposes.
- Critical Thinking: how to make decisions about what to include and not include in your writing.
- Writing Processes: how to use invention, research, drafting, revising, and editing in your writing.
- Knowledge of Conventions: how to use various formats and stylistic choices, including genre conventions.
- Digital Technology: how to use diverse technologies to write more effectively and efficiently.
- Habits of Mind: how to benefit from curiosity, openness, engagement, creativity, persistence, responsibility, flexibility, and reflection.
Learner testimonialsSkip Learner testimonials
"Excellent content and structure. This is a composition course, then learners are expected to write a lot. What I like about the activities is the methodology since participants are invited to reflect a lot, revise, correct, etc., exactly what writers do in real life. In short, there are demanding but rewarding assignments, lectures are high quality and help students, in my opinion, to understand the topics easily. The instructors are nice and care about learners' challenges."
"I'm Aziz from Morocco. I always wanted to develop my writing skills especially academic writing where I still have some issues. And I believe that this course is the perfect one for me to attain that goal. Thank you edX and Arizona state university for this incredible learning opportunity and happy learning for every one enrolled in the MOOC." - _Aziz Soubai