About this courseSkip About this course
This course is part of ASU's Professional Writing MicroBachelors program. If you complete the two courses that are part of this program with a passing grade, you can earn transferable credit from one of edX's university credit partners.
Language and the ability to communicate effectively are critical skills in the global economy and in our daily social exchanges, but they are also essential to gaining a deeper understanding of who we are.
This introductory writing course will help you develop and express ideas effectively for a variety of personal and professional purposes, audiences, and occasions.
During the course, you will complete several major writing projects, keep a regular writer's journal, and maintain a writer's website, where you will showcase your work and demonstrate what you have learned. If you wish to earn university credit, we will ask you to complete all assignments.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Rhetorical Knowledge: how to craft your writing to meet the needs of specific audiences for specific purposes.
- Critical Thinking: how to make decisions about what to include and not include in your writing.
- Writing Processes: how to use invention, research, drafting, revising, and editing in your writing.
- Knowledge of Conventions: how to use various formats and stylistic choices, including genre conventions.
- Digital Technology: how to use diverse technologies to write more effectively and efficiently.
- Habits of Mind: how to benefit from curiosity, openness, engagement, creativity, persistence, responsibility, flexibility, and reflection.
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$499 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
edX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
"Excellent content and structure. This is a composition course, then learners are expected to write a lot. What I like about the activities is the methodology since participants are invited to reflect a lot, revise, correct, etc., exactly what writers do in real life. In short, there are demanding but rewarding assignments, lectures are high quality and help students, in my opinion, to understand the topics easily. The instructors are nice and care about learners' challenges."
"I'm Aziz from Morocco. I always wanted to develop my writing skills especially academic writing where I still have some issues. And I believe that this course is the perfect one for me to attain that goal. Thank you edX and Arizona state university for this incredible learning opportunity and happy learning for every one enrolled in the MOOC." - _Aziz Soubai