About this courseSkip About this course
Join me as we dive into these and related questions in a distinctive way through the gamified structure of this course. Using simple tools, you’ll create your own avatar and begin a virtual journey led by a humanoid and professor through various imaginative realms.
Your travels will be brought to virtual life by literature and made visible on the course map. Your assignments and readings will be quests that concentrate on integral parts of a story, and themes that run throughout the duration of the course. These quests challenge you to do things such as produce visualizations (graphs, word clouds, network diagrams, etc.) utilizing easy-to-use online tools, capture interpretations through art, and engage in battles with characters from the readings.
Before you choose to accept this mission, ask yourself if you answer “yes” to any of the following questions:
- Do you love reading literature whose plot, characters, or themes challenge you to empathize with formerly unknown or unimagined beings or feelings?
- Do you find reading literature a great way to think deeply about important ideas and want a fun, unusual way of doing so?
- Are you a gamer who loves fiction?
- Are you looking for a course that will put you in touch with some cutting-edge pedagogical learning strategies?
- Are you looking for a course that covers time-tested literary themes taught in a radically new way?
- Have you been looking for a way to indulge your love of literature while also dipping your toes into online gaming?
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Conceive of difficulties that arise when trying to define and distinguish between humans and unhuman monsters.
- Identify problems that grow out of the effort to apply definitive and universal moral judgments to actions, thoughts, social structures, and/or living beings.
- Explore challenges that grow out of the effort to define what constitutes the categories of “nature” and “natural.”
- Consider multiple interpretations of literary works by leveraging alternative tools like computer-generated visualizations.
- Present your insights in an engaging, coherent, organized, and focused form through the use of literary analysis.
- Produce creative responses to literature that engage and challenge the themes and express new viewpoints into the conversation.
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$49 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally