Foundations for Excellence in Teaching Online
About this courseSkip About this course
Whether you’re new to teaching online or are looking for new teaching strategies to implement in your online class, our goal is that you find value in this carefully constructed experience we’ve designed for you. This learning experience is adapted from ASU’s flagship workshop for ASU Online faculty, called "Master Class for Teaching Online".
In this self-paced experience, you’ll learn about topics that are recognized to be effective in online teaching, yet they really can be applied in any modality. So if you’re teaching remotely, in a hybrid format, or in a traditional classroom, our goal is that you’ll learn something new that you can apply immediately.
Even though this is an on-demand and self-paced resource, we encourage you to join the community forums created specifically for this experience. You will have an opportunity to contribute by sharing your own ideas and philosophies around provided prompts. It's a great way to connect to a broader teaching and learning community and to the knowledge and experiences that reside with your fellow participants.
This course is NOT edX platform training. It is designed to facilitate peer sharing of strategies for designing and teaching online courses.
The Verified Certificate for this course is free. Use the following coupon code before December 31, 2020 to upgrade at no cost to you: HLPIFNAUR5J6V73V
At a glance
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
At the completion of this course, participants will be able to:
Contribute to a learning community.
Demonstrate proficient edX navigation from the student perspective.
Describe key components of online student success.
Apply question design principles to facilitate effective and engaging class discussions.
Explain the value of implementing the Quality Matters Rubric in course design.
Identify instructional alignment using Bloom's Taxonomy.
Analyze various pedagogical approaches for delivering course content online.
Describe design and delivery techniques of effective lectures.
Prepare content for optimizing instructor presence in an online course.
Create a plan for implementing Foundations for Excellence in Teaching Online resources in an online course.
- Module 0 - Course Orientation
- Activities: Syllabus Knowledge Check
- Module 1 - Building a Learning Community
- Activities: Discussion, Community Building Activity, Knowledge Check
- Module 2 - Online Student Success
- Activities: Discussions (two), Knowledge Check
- Module 3 - Effective Discussions
- Activities: Discussion, Knowledge Check
- Module 4 - Course Content and Quality
- Activities: Course Content Alignment Activities (two), Knowledge Check
- Module 5 - Course Design and Content Development
- Activities: Discussion, Worksheet, Knowledge Check
- Module 6 - Instructor Presence and Action Plan
- Activities: Instructor Presence Video Script (Peer Review), Reflection & Action Plan (Self Assessment), Knowledge Check
- Module 7 - Course Wrap Up
- Activities: End of Course Survey
About the instructors
Frequently Asked QuestionsSkip Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is this course about learning on edX, as opposed to other learning sites?
A: No, you can apply the strategies and use the tools we share on any learning site. If you are looking to learn about how to build courses on the Open edX platform, please see the edX Course Creator Plus Series.