About this course
Are you interested in understanding freedom of expression and information? Do you want to learn how it is defined under international law, who abuses it and how it is protected on or off-line?
Adopting a global standpoint, this course will present the international human rights norms and laws that define free speech and the global jurisprudence that has developed to safeguard it. It will explore political expression, press freedom and freedom of expression on the Internet. It will outline the legitimate restrictions to freedom of expression, and discuss its most pressing challenges and violations globally.
Taught with the support of journalists, human rights defenders and press freedom activists from around the world, this course is a formidable introduction to a complex fundamental right, at the heart of today’s many global challenges, from the Internet to national security, freedom of religion and privacy.
What you'll learn
- The principles behind the protection of freedom of expression and information
- The international standards that define and protect freedom of expression and the bodies responsible for enforcing them
- The norms and tests governing the legitimate restriction to freedom of expression
- The impact of Internet on freedom of expression
- The current violations to freedom of expression, and the challenges its protection is confronting, including those related to national security, religion and privacy
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain $50.00
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally