About this course
The course is divided into modules, each of which builds on what was covered previously. The first module focuses on what an IoT solution is and provides an introduction to the industry verticals that are using IoT to achieve business goals. In the second module, students will learn about the architectural components of an IoT solution, both on the device side and in the cloud. The third module covers the steps and approaches for evaluating and implementing IoT in your business. The final module investigates how real-world IoT solutions are being implemented in various industries and describes some of the different approaches that can be taken.
After completing this course, students will be able to identify and articulate IoT business opportunities across a broad spectrum of industries.
What you'll learn
- Understand what IoT is and the difference between a commercial IoT device and a consumer IoT device
- Explain how IoT can be used to support business needs in industries like Manufacturing, Smart City/Building, Energy, Healthcare, Retail, and Transportation
- Describe the components of an IoT Architecture
- Describe the security considerations that must be addressed when implementing an IoT solution
- Describe the communication, data, and process pathways implemented within an IoT solution
- Explain the approaches that a business can take when preparing to implement an IoT solution
- Describe the device categories available in the marketplace and characteristics of commonly used devices
- Describe software and services that go into an IoT solution and how security considerations are addressed within the implementation
- Evaluate and align a use case scenario or problem statement with a real-world IoT implementation and architecture
- Explain one or more approaches for implementing an IoT solution based on a use case scenario or problem statement
Some assessment questions will be presented during the activities. These questions will help you to prepare for the final assessment.
The course includes four modules, each of which contains two or more lab activities. The lab outline is provided below.
Module 1: IoT in Industry
- Lab 1: Examining the Business of IoT
- Lab 2: Exploring IoT Business Scenarios
- Lab 1: Examining the Architecture of an IoT Solution
- Lab 2: Exploring IoT Security Considerations
- Lab 1: Exploring the Components of an IoT Solution
- Lab 2: Exploring the Approaches to IoT Business Solutions
- Lab 1: Exploring IoT Solutions
- Lab 2: Planning an IoT Business Solution
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain $99.00
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
Who can take this course?
Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this course: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this course in all locations. EdX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.