About this courseSkip About this course
Engineering simulations are rapidly becoming fundamental in virtually all industrial sectors;from medicine to energy, aerospace and beyond. In this course, you will learn the breakthrough general adaptive finite element methods (AFEM) and open source FEniCS software that willenable you to solve the grand challenges in science and engineering.
In this second course in the series, you will carry out advanced, time-resolved parallel simulations of aerodynamics, allowing you to understand the mechanism of flight.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- How to describe the Direct FEM Simulation (DFS) methodology, including adaptive error control, slip boundary condition,and turbulent dissipation
- Methods for deriving stability estimates for the cG(1)cG(1) FEM applied to Navier-Stokes equations
- How to account for general FEM-algorithms such as assembly, adaptvity, and local mesh refinement and have a basic understanding of their implementation in FEniCS-HPC
- How to account for parallel data structures and algorithms for distributed memory architectures in a general FEM-framework and inspect their implementation in FEniCS-HPC: distributed computational mesh, ghost entities, distributed sparse linear and non-linear algebra, local mesh refinement by bisection for a distributed computational mesh, and general goal-oriented adaptive error control
- Ways to estimate the performance of different parallel algorithms
- How to use a general framework, such as FEniCS-HPC, to model and solve general PDE on a supercomputer, and specifically aerodynamics problems with DFS
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain $55.00
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
Who can take this course?
Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this course: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this course in all locations. EdX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.