About this course
What you'll learn
Ways to take this course
edX for business
Estimated 4 weeks
2–3 hours per week
Progress at your own speed
Optional upgrade available
How to Save Money: Making Smart Financial Decisions
About this courseSkip About this course
This course is for people:
- Who know they need to save but not how much.
- Who don’t know whether it would be better to put $100 in an IRA or to pay off $100 of their credit card balance.
- Who have never read their credit report.
- Who have both low auto insurance liability coverage and a low deductible.
- Who don’t know their liability coverage.
- Who don’t know what liability coverage is.
- Who would ever consider leasing a car instead of buying.
- Who own stocks but not mutual funds.
- Who own mutual funds but not index funds.
- Who don’t know what index funds or Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) are.
- Who don’t know how much they are paying in mutual fund fees.
- Who are considering hiring a financial advisor.
- Who wonder how much savings they will need to retire.
At a glance
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Tips to start saving money
- How to prioritize spending
- Why you need an emergency fund
- How to lower your insurance costs
- Where to look up mutual fund fees
- How to set savings goals and financial goals
- How to save and invest
- About retirement planning
- How to improve your credit score
- When to file for Medicare and Social Security
- How to spend money in ways that make you happier