About this courseSkip About this course
This is a self-paced course that provides a continuation of information security and cybersecurity topics. Among the topics covered are Injection Attacks and Defenses, Privacy and Anonymity Software Validity and Rights, Cryptocurrency. Students start with a high-level view of prevalent attacks on web applications and cover some strategies for mitigating those attacks. We will look at three major attacks in this lesson: Cross-Site Scripting (XSS), SQL Injection, and request forgery (CSRF) attacks.
We follow up with a look at the privacy and different methods users can obtain anonymity. Next, we take a look at digital rights management and trusted computing. We hypothesize how we know the software and hardware we are running is legitimate and has not been modified or stolen.
Lastly, we dive into the technical background for the very popular BitCoin, and it’s sister cryptocurrencies. We have a guest lecturer from Columbia University speak to use about the history and modern-day uses of these cryptocurrencies.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Define Same-Origin Policy
- Describe SQL Injection and Common defenses
- Describe Cross Site Request Forgery (XSRF) and Common Defenses
- Describe Cross Site Scripting (XSS) and Common Defenses
- Discuss different definitions of Privacy
- Define anonymity
- Define contextual integrity
- Describe Differential Privacy
- Describe Mix Networks
- Describe how Tor Provides Anonymity
- Define Digital Certificates
- Describe the Trusted Platform Module (TPM)
- Describe DNS Amplification
- Distinguish between Watermarking and Steganography
- Describe How Bit-Coin Prevents an Attacker from Faking a Chain
- Describe Why Minors Validate Transactions
- Describe Why BitCoin Mining Consumes So Much Power and Some Alternatives
- Describe Threats to the BitCoin EcoSystem
Week 1 - Injection Attacks and Defenses
Week 2 - Privacy and Anonymity
Week 3 - Software Validity and Rights
Week 4 - Cryptocurrency
Week 5 - Final Exam
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$166 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
Who can take this course?
Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this course: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this course in all locations. EdX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.