About this course
We are surrounded by information, much of it numerical, and it is important to know how to make sense of it. Stat2x is an introduction to the fundamental concepts and methods of statistics, the science of drawing conclusions from data.
The course is the online equivalent of Statistics 2, a 15-week introductory course taken in Berkeley by about 1,000 students each year. Stat2x is divided into three 5-week components. Stat2.1x is the first of the three.
The focus of Stat2.1x is on descriptive statistics. The goal of descriptive statistics is to summarize and present numerical information in a manner that is illuminating and useful. The course will cover graphical as well as numerical summaries of data, starting with a single variable and progressing to the relation between two variables. Methods will be illustrated with data from a variety of areas in the sciences and humanities.
There will be no mindless memorization of formulas and methods. Throughout Stat2.1x, the emphasis will be on understanding the reasoning behind the calculations, the assumptions under which they are valid, and the correct interpretation of results.
- What is the format of the class?
- Instruction will be consist of brief lectures and exercises to check comprehension. Grades (Pass or Not Pass) will be decided based on a combination of scores on short assignments, quizzes, and a final exam.
- How much does it cost to take the course?
- Nothing! The course is free.
- Will the text of the lectures be available?
- Yes. All of our lectures will have transcripts synced to the videos.
- Do I need to watch the lectures live?
- No. You can watch the lectures at your leisure.
- Can I contact the Instructor or Teaching Assistants?
- Yes, but not directly. The discussion forums are the appropriate venue for questions about the course. The instructors will monitor the discussion forums and try to respond to the most important questions; in many cases response from other students and peers will be adequate and faster.
- Do I need any other materials to take the course?
- If you have any questions about edX generally, please see the edX FAQ.
What you'll learn
- The fundamental concepts and methods of statistics
- How to intepret graphical and numerical summaries of data
- Understand the reasoning behind the calculations, the assumptions under which they are valid, and the correct interpretation of results
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain $25.00
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally