About this course
Join this course to kick-start your efforts to unite stakeholders and design governance structures, processes and partnerships embedded in place that capitalize on strengths and balance and mitigate threats.
Achieving the Sustainable Development Goals and building healthy and productive landscapes can only happen with effective stakeholder engagement. Landscape governance is therefore key to balance and manage the many trade-offs and interdependencies that happen across sectors and scales in and around landscapes.
Taking this course requires you to look at a landscape and its governance from a new perspective. With the landscape as the place, you will think spatially and explore transboundary governance that flows from the natural landscape and overcomes static, traditional administrative levels and barriers.
Once you sign up, you’ll be whisked away to exciting real-world landscapes to learn from global experiences and see how even in the most challenging circumstances, effective governance leads to innovation and sustainable development in landscapes.
You’ll also be challenged to assess the roles of formal and informal institutions in a highly interactive fashion. By the end of this course, you have analysed the multi-actor, multi-sector and multi-scale character of a landscape which is necessary to create sustainable and innovative landscape governance arrangements.
This course has been designed by Wageningen Centre for Development Innovation, with contributions from the Horn of Africa Regional Centre (HOAREC) in Ethiopia, and South Rift Association of Land Owners (SORALO) in Kenya. It has been financed by the Netherlands Ministry of Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality.
The Sustainable and Inclusive Landscapes Professional Certificate Programme lets you harness the power of place and advance your career as a landscape leader, The programme consists of the following courses:
- Landscape Leadership: Catalyse Sustainable Development in Landscapes
- Landscape Finance: Investing in Innovation for Sustainable Landscapes
- Landscape Governance: Collaborating Across Sectors and Scales
What you'll learn
- How to apply an integrated and spatial approach and to think beyond traditional governance arrangements
- Understand and manage landscape and stakeholder dynamics for successful landscape interventions
- Learn why formal and informal institutions are key to landscape governance
- Explore opportunities for achieving policy integration within your own landscape
- Analyse the strengths and weaknesses within your landscape and create innovative governance arrangements at landscape level
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain $99.00
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally