About this courseSkip About this course
Randomness is inherent in all processes including manufacturing. The fundamental concepts taught in this course will help learners develop powerful statistical process control methods that are the foundation of world-class manufacturing quality.
As part of the Principles of Manufacturing MicroMasters program, this course will introduce statistical methods that apply to any unit manufacturing process. We will cover the following topics:
- Recognizing inherent variability in continuous production
- Identifying sources of process output variation
- Describing variation in a structured manner
- Applying basic probability and statistics concepts to characterize process variation
- Differentiating between design specifications and process capability
- Synthesizing novel approaches to unfamiliar situations by extending the core material (i.e. go beyond the “standard” uses).
- Assessing the appropriateness of various statistical methods for a variety of problems
Develop the engineering and management skills needed for competence and competitiveness in today’s manufacturing industry with the Principles of Manufacturing MicroMasters Credential, designed and delivered by MIT’s #1-ranked Mechanical Engineering department in the world. Learners who pass the 8 courses in the program will earn the MicroMasters Credential and qualify to apply to gain credit towards MIT’s Master of Engineering in Advanced Manufacturing & Design program.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Variation modeling using the theory of Random Processes
- Statistical Process Control (SPC) foundations and applications
- Xbar, EWMA, CUSUM and discrete event methods for detecting process problems
- Methods for analyzing process changes by looking at general process physics
- How to apply these methods to achieve world-class quality in unit manufacturing processes
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain $175.00
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
From the on-campus version:
“2.830 lectures are immensely helpful in my day to day job responsibilities. I can now better understand the concepts of quality and drive quality improvements based on that.”
“Thanks – I use 2.830 everyday!”
"We're talking about process capability Cpk, we're talking about AQL sampling, we're talking about how we will know if vendor and internal processes are stable, etc. Real life application of the stuff I learned from 2.830!"
Frequently asked questions
For more information, please see the POM FAQ Page.
Who can take this course?
Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this course: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this course in all locations. EdX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.