About this courseSkip About this course
This physics course introduces the concept of tensor product states to discuss entanglement and Bell inequalities. You will learn about angular momentum and its representations. This is used to understand the spectrum of central potentials and to introduce hidden symmetries. Lastly, you will learn about the addition of angular momentum and an algebraic approach to the hydrogen atom spectrum.
This is the last of three courses offering a sophisticated view of quantum mechanics and its proper mathematical foundation.
To follow this course you should have taken Part 1: Wave Mechanics, and Part 2: Quantum Dynamics.
Completing the 3-part Quantum Mechanics series will give you the necessary foundation to pursue advanced study or research at the graduate level in areas related to quantum mechanics
The series will follow MIT’s on campus 8.05, the second semester of the three-course sequence on undergraduate quantum mechanics, and will be equally rigorous. 8.05 is a signature course in MIT's physics program and a keystone in the education of physics majors.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Entanglement and Bell inequality.
- Representations of Angular momentum.
- The Central Potential Problem.
- Addition of Angular Momentum.
- An algebraic approach to the hydrogen atom.
- Multiparticle states and tensor products
- Entanglement and quantum teleportation
- The Einstein, Podolsky, Rosen paradox and Bell inequalities
- Representations of angular momentum
- Angular momentum and central potentials
- Hidden symmetries and degeneracies
- Addition of angular momentum
- Algebraic solution of the hydrogen atom
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$50 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
edX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
“8.05x was the perfect opportunity for me to both gain knowledge and evaluate my understanding on a high quality international platform. It has really exceeded my expectations. Now, at the end of fifteen weeks, I feel more confident and hopefully I am more knowledgeable.”