About this courseSkip About this course
- Learn the fundamentals of field-based health research, from practical insights about study design and measuring health outcomes to common challenges to implementing health surveys in the field
- Free and self-paced, enroll any time before November 30 and complete the course at your own pace
- Upgrade to the Certificate Track ($99) to earn a verified certificate for the course and gain permanent access to course materials
Travel with our team to India and Kenya to see first-hand how rigorous health research is conducted in the field. This eight-week course will focus on the fundamentals of field-based health research with an emphasis on measuring health outcomes in low resource settings. The course will involve lectures from Vandana Sharma featuring her research work in India and Kenya, combined with exercises to provide practical insights about study design, measurement of health outcomes, and data collection, as well as the common challenges and constraints in implementing health surveys in the field. Case studies and exercises will be drawn from research conducted by J-PAL affiliated professors.
This course is designed for individuals from a variety of backgrounds including those who are new to health research, as well as managers and researchers from international development organizations, foundations, governments, and non-governmental organizations around the world.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
Through a series of integrated learning modules, the course will focus on topics such as:
- Measuring individual and population health
- Designing research studies, including theories of change and logical frameworks
- Selecting health indicators
- Measurement tools and selection
- Questionnaire development
- Practical and ethical issues for data collection
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$99 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
edX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
Who can take this course?
Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this course: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this course in all locations. edX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.