About this course
The data set is from April 2015 when a 7.8 magnitude earthquake with an epicenter in the Gorkha District of Nepal devastated the surrounding area.
Using the provided data on buildings in the affected area and how they were impacted by the earthquake, we ask students to examine how the buildings’ ages, sizes, and materials were correlated to the amount of damage they underwent during the quake.
Students will be required to showcase the multiple skills they learned throughout the courses taken during the Data Analysis MPP.
The Capstone is organized into three different areas for students to present their skills. The first area is for students to showcase their ability to analyze the data set by answering statistical multiple-choice questions using the statistical program of their choice. The second area is for students to create an analytic report that examines the data set and answers three questions. The third area is optional and is for students to showcase their skills using and creating a dashboard in Power BI.
Note: It is recommend for students to complete all required courses in the Data Analysis MPP track before starting this capstone course.
What you'll learn
- Analyze the data and crunch the numbers
- Create a Power BI dashboard(optional)
- Find trends and explore analytic patterns in the data
- Create a multi-slide analytic report from the data
- Analyzing the Data:
- In the first module, you’ll answer 35 multiple-choice statistical questions about the dataset.
- You can choose your statistical program of choice to crunch the numbers and analyze the data.
- Analytic Report:
- In the second module, you’ll create a multi-slide analytic report that examines the role of building age, size, and materials in the earthquake damage.
- This report will answer three key questions about the data set to test your ability to visualize the data to answer in-depth questions.
- Power BI: (Optional)
- In the final optional module, you’ll need to import the earthquake data set into Power BI and create a dashboard.
- You’ll use the dashboard to find interesting trends and explore possible analytic patterns in the data.
- This third part of the Capstone is recommended for students looking to build out their portfolio with a Power BI dashboard.
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain $99.00
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally