About this courseSkip About this course
Showcase the knowledge and skills that you have acquired during the Microsoft Professional Program for Internet of Things, and implement a real-world IoT solution in this program capstone project. The project takes the form of an IoT solution roll-out that is tested and scored to determine your grade.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
This course is unusual in that it is primarily a test of the knowledge and skills you have developed by taking the other IoT track courses. The goal of this capstone project is to challenge you with an IoT project (design and implementation) and evaluate your ability to apply the skills that you gained during the IoT MPP track courses to solve a real problem.
This course consists of a practical project in which you must design and implement an IoT solution.
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain $99.00
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
Frequently asked questions
Q: What is (will be) the capstone project?
The capstone project for IoT will consist of:
- a set of business requirements/ specifications that the student will use to build their solution
- a set of challenges that students will have to complete
Student Deliverables used for evaluation and grading include:
- Business Plan
- Solution Architecture
- Evaluations and Reports
Azure Account/Subscription Deliverables
Azure IoT Service and Resource Configurations
Azure Storage Accounts
Q: How long does it take to complete the MPP for IOT?
The full track requires approximately 100 hours to complete (in the range of 80 - 150 hours). The broad range for completion time accommodates students with different goals, backgrounds, and learning styles. Each course is self-paced, and most will take between 8-12 hours to complete. The Capstone project, which is offered quarterly beginning in April 2019, is designed to take approximately 30 hours to complete (in the range of 20 - 60 hours)
Q: Are there prerequisites for the track?
Coming into the IoT MPP curriculum, we encourage students to have the following skills and experience:
- An aptitude toward basic project development and problem-solving skills.
- Experience using modern software development tools.
- Programming experience in a supported language
- A basic understanding of data science or data analytics
- A basic understanding of cloud services and distributed application architectures
Q: Is there any special software or cloud services that are required to complete the track?
The following student resource requirements apply:
- PC running Windows 10 (Azure-based activities are Linux and Mac OS compatible)
- Internet access
- Azure account/subscription (either a free or paid account can be used)
Q: Is any special hardware required?
IoT Device Hardware Kits and Components are required for hands-on activities in some courses, including the capstone:
- Adafruit Microsoft IoT Pack for Raspberry Pi 3: https://www.adafruit.com/windows10iotpi2
- MXChip IoT DevKit: http://www.mxchip.com/az3166
- Edge Connector Breakout Board (for the MXChip AZ3166 device): https://www.kitronik.co.uk/5601b-edge-connector-breakout-board-for-bbc-microbit-pre-built.html
Who can take this course?
Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this course: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this course in all locations. EdX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.