About this courseSkip About this course
Combining artificial intelligence with robotics may offer positive implications for our society and our well-being. However, it also raises a lot of ethical questions.
In this course we will discuss questions and dilemmas such as:
- will artificially intelligent robots take away our jobs?
- will they have their own free will and - as some prophesy - have the power to take over the world?
- should we program robots to detect and respond to human emotions, and if so how?
- under what conditions can we use robots for military purposes?
We will also touch upon the design principles that developers should adhere to, and critically reflect on issues such as robot autonomy, consciousness and intelligence.
This course will provide you with plenty of learning resources on this important topic including interviews with top experts in this field.
This course is a spin-off of the "Mind of the Universe" documentary series, created by the Dutch broadcasting company VPRO and professor Robbert Dijkgraaf, Princeton University. A number of universities in The Netherlands have used the open source material of the documentary series as a starting point to create similar learning experiences.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Identify the ethical questions about artificially intelligent robots.
- Identify the various areas where concern is in place.
- Reflect critically upon developments with regard to Artificially intelligent robots and the impact it has on society.
- Express a nuanced point of view towards the issue of Artificially intelligent robots in society.
- What’s on your mind? Short introduction to the topic and becoming aware of your ideas on the topic
- Open up your mind: start listening to experts and read about the topic
- Connect your mind: Discuss your ideas with others
- Make up your mind: Come up with a great solution
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$50.00
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
The course materials of this course are Copyright Delft University of Technology and are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (CC-BY-NC-SA) 4.0 International License.
Who can take this course?
Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this course: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this course in all locations. EdX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.