About this courseSkip About this course
Variables are all around us: temperature, altitude, location, profit, color, and countless others. Multivariable Calculus is the tool of choice to shed light on complex relationships between 2, 3, or hundreds of variables simultaneously.
- How does one control a robot whose motion depends on several variables at once?
- How does an oceanographer understand carbon absorption of the ocean?
- How can one assess if a prediction model matches data optimally?
- How can one design policy to affect the behavior of consumers in order to better protect the planet?
All of these questions involve understanding vectors and derivatives of multivariable functions.
In this course, we begin our exploration of functions of several variables. We will start with learning to visualize multivariable functions, then move to computing and interpreting their derivatives. You will discover how to use linear approximations in several variables to simplify complex questions and will start to think about the world through multivariable dependencies.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- How to visualize functions of 2 and 3 variables using level curves and level surfaces.
- How to compute partial derivatives, directional derivatives, and gradients.
- How to optimize multivariable functions subject to constraint equations.
- How to represent the linear approximation of a multivariable function using vectors and matrices.
Unit 1: Functions of two variables
- Graphing functions and slicing
- Level curves
- Partial derivatives
- Tangent planes
- Linear approximation
Unit 2: Geometry of derivatives
- Dot products
- Vector fields
- Directional derivatives
Unit 3: Optimization
- Critical points
- Second derivative test
- Constrained optimization
- Lagrange multipliers
- Least squares approximation
Unit 4: Matrices
- Systems of equations
- Matrix algebra
- Undetermined and overdetermined systems
- Linear functions as matrix maps
Unit 5: Curves
- Parametric curves in 2 and 3 dimensions
- Chain rule
- Vectors and derivatives in three dimensions and higher
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$100 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
edX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
Who can take this course?
Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this course: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this course in all locations. edX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.