Natural Language Processing and Language Understanding in Educational Research
About this courseSkip About this course
This course offers an overview of natural language processing (NLP) and natural language understanding (NLU) for educational practitioners, leaders, and researchers. This class introduces analysis of and analytical tools for research work with unstructured data such as student writing, responses to learner surveys, interview data, or transcripts from an educational setting.
Topics will include an overview of:
- examples of unstructured data in educational settings;
- research problems and questions that can be addressed with natural language data and tools;
- tools and techniques for preparation and analysis of unstructured educational data.
Course participants will also complete short applied assignments with unstructured data.
At a glance
- Institution: UTArlingtonX
- Subject: Data Analysis & Statistics
- Level: Advanced
- Prerequisites: We highly recommend that you take the previous course in this series before beginning this course: Learning Analytics Fundamentals.
This course is intended for those who have a Bachelor’s degree and are interested in developing learning and data science skills for employment in education, corporate, nonprofit, and military training sectors.
- Language: English
- Video Transcript: English
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Key concepts of Natural Language Processing (NLP) and Natural Language Understanding (NLU)
- How unstructured data can be analyzed in educational research settings;
- Common tools and techniques to analyze unstructured data in learning analytics research.
Week 1: Common NLP Research Questions and Tools in Learning Analytics
Week 2: Data Cleaning and Analysis Concepts in NLP
Week 3: Concepts and Emerging Tools for NLU