About this courseSkip About this course
This course offers an overview of natural language processing (NLP) and natural language understanding (NLU) for educational practitioners, leaders, and researchers. This class introduces analysis of and analytical tools for research work with unstructured data such as student writing, responses to learner surveys, interview data, or transcripts from an educational setting.
Topics will include an overview of:
- examples of unstructured data in educational settings;
- research problems and questions that can be addressed with natural language data and tools;
- tools and techniques for preparation and analysis of unstructured educational data.
Course participants will also complete short applied assignments with unstructured data.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Key concepts of Natural Language Processing (NLP) and Natural Language Understanding (NLU)
- How unstructured data can be analyzed in educational research settings;
- Common tools and techniques to analyze unstructured data in learning analytics research.
Week 1: Common NLP Research Questions and Tools in Learning Analytics
Week 2: Data Cleaning and Analysis Concepts in NLP
Week 3: Concepts and Emerging Tools for NLU
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$99 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
edX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally