About this courseSkip About this course
If you are a doctor, nurse, or allied health professional looking to improve your knowledge of the role of nutrition communication in chronic disease prevention and management, this course is for you. We will arm you with the information and skills you need to effectively convey evidence-based brief nutrition messages to your patients.
You will learn the key concepts central to dietary patterns for prevention and management of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease, how to talk about diet-related health, and identify the key features of healthy diets.
From the University of Newcastle team that brought you The Science of Weight Loss and Food for Kids, this course is an evidence-based approach to understanding the key role nutrition – and nutrition communication – plays in preventing and managing type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Identify differences between primary and secondary prevention of Type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease
- Identify nutrition-related risk factors for type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease
- Recognise clinical markers relevant to nutrition management
- Identify differences between, and limitations of, dietary assessment methods
- Demonstrate an understanding of the hierarchy of nutrition messages in the management of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease
- Identify dietary patterns relevant to reducing type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease risk
- Identify barriers and facilitators to changing diet specific to chronic disease
- Demonstrate an understanding of behaviour change models and techniques
Week 1: Prevention and management
Week 2: Nutrition-assessment and intervention
Week 3: Communication and behaviour change
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$49 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
Frequently asked questions
I’m not a health professional – can I study this course?
This course is suitable for anyone interested in the evidence-base behind the nutritional management of chronic disease. This course is particularly suitable for health professionals looking to provide brief nutrition messages to their patients.
Is the nutrition content in this course relevant to type 1 diabetes?
This nutrition content of this course is only specific to Type 2 diabetes. The nutrition information provided within should not be used in relation to Type 1 diabetes. However, the content on communication of messages can be used across health conditions.