About this course
You might have encountered other forms of interview techniques in your studies and training. The form that we are teaching is the preferred method of Professor Silbey's, one that she has used extensively throughout her career. The goal is to construct an interview protocol such that you will be able to guide your interviewee through topics of interest to your study without bringing them up explicitly, in order to explore experiences and accounts without pointing respondents in particular directions. Not sure what an interview protocol is? No problem! You will by the end of the course.
What you'll learn
- How to prepare an interview protocol, and how to conduct an interview.
- How to assess validity in qualitative research.
- The Science of Social Science
- What is Social Science?
- How does Social Science differ from the physical sciences?
- The Process of Qualitative Research
- How does Qualitative Research differ from Quantitative Research?
- What is Fieldwork?
- Conversational Interviewing and it's use in research
- Establishing Validity in Qualitative Research
- What are the criteria for validity when conducting Qualitative Research?
- What are the tests for validity?
- Conducting Conversational Interviews
- Interviewing as Data Collection
- Drafting an Interview Protocol
- Interviewing Techniques
- Interview Examples & Discussion
- Demostratons of Good and Bad interview techniques with detailed discussion
- Logistics and Ethical Concerns
- Logistics of Conducting Interviews: Finding & Inviting Subjects, Recording Interviews, etc
- Ethics & Human Subject Research
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain $49.00
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally