About this courseSkip About this course
This course is part of a three-course series that provides an introduction to the theory and practice of quantum computation. We cover:
- the physics of information processing
- quantum logic
- quantum algorithms including Shor's factoring algorithm and Grover's search algorithm
- quantum error correction
- quantum communication and key distribution
This course will help you establish a foundation of knowledge for understanding what quantum computers can do, how they work, and how you can contribute to discovering new things and solving problems in quantum information science and engineering.
The three-course series comprises:
- 8.370.1x: Foundations of quantum and classical computing – quantum mechanics, reversible computation, and quantum measurement
- 8.370.2x: Simple quantum protocols and algorithms – teleportation and superdense coding, the Deutsch-Jozsa and Simon’s algorithm, Grover’s quantum search algorithm, and Shor’s quantum factoring algorithm
- 8.370.3x: Foundations of quantum communication – noise and quantum channels, and quantum key distribution
Prior knowledge of quantum mechanics is helpful but not required. It is best if you know some linear algebra.
This course has been authored by one or more members of the Faculty of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Its educational objectives, methods, assessments, and the selection and presentation of its content are solely the responsibility of MIT. MIT gratefully acknowledges major support for this course, provided by IBM Research. This course on quantum information science is a collective effort to further advance knowledge and understanding in quantum information and quantum computing.
For more information about MIT’s Quantum Curriculum, visit quantumcurriculum.mit.edu.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- quantum mechanics
- reversible classical computation
- quantum measurement
Week 2: reversible computation
Week 3: quantum measurement
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$49 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally