About this courseSkip About this course
In this quantum physics course you will learn the basics of quantum mechanics. We begin with de Broglie waves, the wavefunction, and its probability interpretation. We then introduce the Schrodinger equation, inner products, and Hermitian operators. We also study the time-evolution of wave-packets, Ehrenfest's theorem, and uncertainty relations.
This is the first course in a series which includes:
- Quantum Mechanics: Wavefunctions, Operators, and Expectation Values
- Quantum Mechanics: Quantum Physics in 1D Potentials
- Quantum Mechanics: 1D Scattering and Central Potentials
The series is based on MIT 8.04: Quantum Mechanics I. At MIT, 8.04 is the first of a three-course sequence in Quantum Mechanics, a cornerstone in the education of physics majors that prepares them for advanced and specialized studies in any field related to quantum physics. This online course follows the on-campus version and will be equally rigorous.
After completing the 8.04x series, you will be ready to tackle the Mastering Quantum Mechanics course series on edX, 8.05x.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- The wavefunction and its probability interpretation.
- The Schrodinger equation.
- Inner products and Hermitian operators.
- Time-evolution of wave-packets.
- Ehrenfest’s theorem and uncertainty relations.
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$49 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally